Making your own LP hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of reusable hose ends I salvaged from an old Nemrod horse collar BC inflater from the 1970's. I have used them to make hoses for different situations. You just need to use the correct OD and ID size hose. I wish I had more than just two but I suspect they may no longer be available because of liability reasons in this day and age.

Ever heard of the point of diminishing returns ? :shakehead:

Yea, I think they call that your 40th birthday.:D
Of course for some it is the day of their birth.

Seriously, DIY has two camps, those that try and save a penny, and those that just want to be able to do anything and everything. Depending on what camp they are from, diminishing returns may not apply.

Often, when undertaking such tasks, the knowledge of what you don't know is revealed and true understanding is gained. There is nothing wrong with spending a fortune to gain real knowledge.

DIY for me is about building things that are unavailable as I want them made. Such as this backplate and manifold for triple AL30's

Attachments

• Front (Small).JPG
    Front (Small).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC03187 (Small).JPG
    DSC03187 (Small).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 102
For some reason, I bought a load of hoses with screw-on ends. Every time I get a new BC, I've been using those hoses for shortening to a custom length.

I like Couv's link though. Looks better than what I've used. Couv, would you know if those could be used with Miflex hoses?

Funny thing is, I've done this to several of my LP hoses and not my HP hoses, although in reality I know that it would be prefereable to have a HP hose go than an LP hose.

PS: For those not familiar with the DIY section, a lot of us recognize that its NOT about cost savings.

Thanks, but that is about what I paid for the hose brand new

Ah…I see. Well, if these fittings work as advertised, you should be able to repair or customize two hoses; provided they don’t have the same discrepancy. Also, I have to admit, I was thinking of the OP’s problem when I replied to your post….Senior Moment.

Couv, would you know if those could be used with Miflex hoses?

Sorry Doc, I’m not familiar at all with the fittings in the link. I was hoping someone here had some experience with them. We used what appear to be similar, albeit wider diameter, fittings on umbilical hoses. They were a snap to use when building/repairing a surface supplied hose.

RE Milex hoses, there is this notice in the add:

“Compatible hose size, inner diameter 6 to 7 mm, outer diameter 12 to 14mm
Required tools, 2PCS 17mm wrenches and 1PCS female reusable fitting assembly tool ( listed separately).”

I wonder how necessary the “reusable fitting assembly tool” is.

I sent a message to the company. They said it only works with rubber hoses. Fiber wrapped hoses need to be crimped. :(

Thanks for all the input. It seems that this would be really difficult to do myself so I informed them of their mistake and they shipped me the appropriate sized hose and I will be shipping the super-long one back. I dove the 7' hose this past weekend and it of course worked. In reality it seemed simple enough but without a supplier to buy the ends from it doesn't seem viable.

Jar546,
Ordering a custom 7' hose is cheaper than ordering an in-stock 7' hose.

Back
Top Bottom