Manta Ray/Devil Ray ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going diving this weekend so will have access to the book to get some more details about these rays. Have yet to see a manta, the closest we have come are a pair of blotched stingrays which hang out at one of our most dived sites. So far the biggest thing I've seen underwater - about 2m wingspan...

Am I showing my age now but I'm sure Sea Devils are enemies of Doctor Who and maybe you subconciously were half typing Davros (Not Davils), leader of the Daleks.

Phuket is exactly 22nd Dec, love ya to come and dive with lucky Neil!!

The guy who took both pics is Fifi Kunz owner/operator of Caicos Adventures. Their web site is www.caicosadventures.com I've had a look and both pics are now uploaded there plus some other great shots. I'm sure Fifi would not mind me sending them to you, it's a great advert for his business.

Just for info Fifi uses a digital olympus C3030 in a Light & Motion Tetra housing with absolutely no lighting set up. This rig is available for around $1200 if you shop about. I think thats pretty cheap for the amazing quality he gets.

Neil

Originally posted by neilstewart
Am I showing my age now but I'm sure Sea Devils are enemies of Doctor Who and maybe you subconciously were half typing Davros (Not Davils), leader of the Daleks.

Neil

LOL! :D

Sea Devil set some cogs turning in the far recesses of my memory...Do you feel better if I tell you that damn Dalek at Mme Tussaud's was still making me jump out of my skin at age 23? - got me every time!

Just so we've got this straight - we're talking about 2 types of rays that look like mantas (with the horny things in front of the mouth)? Difference in size and colouration?

Well done for making 50 posts...

Yes, those Sea Devils did ring a bell in me old brain cells too... Dr Who certainly takes me back *shivers at the thought of how long ago THAT was*

22nd December, eh? hmmm... that leaves enough time to plan and save $$! We'll see...

Around the LA (Lower Alabama - that's the "Redneck Riviera" that stretches from roughly Dauphin Island to Port St. Joe) part of the gulf, "Devil Ray" is another name for the Manta and no other ray. The "Devil" comes from the Manta's "horns" - its cephalic fins that are used to guide food into the mouth when feeding, but are rolled up like horns when the ray is making speed or jumping.
Rick

According to Gerald Allen, the manta and devil rays are 2 different types of rays. The devil ray differs from the manta in that it has teeth on both the top and bottom jaws (whereas mantas only have them on the lower jaw); the colouration of the devil ray varies from dark ocellated greenish brown to dark brown; it's tail is very short and more spiny than the manta, and also it is a lot smaller in size - up to 2m, instead of possible 6m for mantas. I forgot to make a note of their latin names (again)! From your original query, Neil, it looks to me like what you saw was the devil ray...

Thanks SS,

I too was browsing Divequest 2002, reading a little about Cocos and I quote "Manta Rays tend to be solitary or in a small group but you may be fortunate to see a school of their smaller more sociable cousin, the Devil Ray".

I shall be using Devil Ray to describe this smaller species and no doubt will be explaining myself should I be lucky enough to see another. I shall go armed with Gerald Allen's differences.

Neil

The reason the Rays fly/jump is to force the eggs out on impact during the mating season!

ID

Originally posted by Iguana Don
The reason the Rays fly/jump is to force the eggs out on impact during the mating season!

ID

NO WAY!!!! Is that true??? Sounds painful!

Neil - errrm - don't quote me on that...details given from memory, a bit shaky at the best of times, but your description did sound fairly close that's why I jumped on it! You don't happen to have any photos of them do you...?

Back
Top Bottom