Manta Ray/Devil Ray ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you find that piece of information? Would be interested in reading more about it. :)

Alas Sea Squirt thats the one that got away.

Same old story eh Lady Mantas putting in all that effort. Male Manta proberbly cruising around having a bud.

Neil

Originally posted by Sea Squirt
According to Gerald Allen, the manta and devil rays are 2 different types of rays.
Only the big one frequents the northern gulf. Interchangeably called the Manta Ray, Devil Ray, and Devilfish. Wingspans recorded up to 22 feet!
Rick

Hi Folks

Just to confirm Iguana Don's posting.

Yes, when Mantas leap out (horizantally on the surface of the water) means it's forcing it's egg's out.

But if it was to leap verticall out of the water (up high), it's ussualy to get rid of parasites tagging on it's body.

Thanks for that little snippet - I do remember having heard that before, but never about the egg "laying"!

Rick - 22 feet? That's enormous! No wonder sailors of old got scared if they saw one of those come flying out of the water... Have you ever seen one (in or out of the water)?

Originally posted by keralucu
Rick - 22 feet? That's enormous! No wonder sailors of old got scared if they saw one of those come flying out of the water... Have you ever seen one (in or out of the water)?
22' is the largest ever documented by the University of South Alabama. I don't think I've ever seen one that big. (When I was about 14 I saw one jump about six miles out from Perdido bay and at the time I'd have sworn he was 50 feet across! - But I think he was actually in the 12-14 foot wingspan range - still an enormous fish) I have seen them in the water feeding at the surface where at first I thought I was seeing the dorsal fins of two sharks as the wingtips would break the surface of the water. Our last trip to Coz my wife chased one that was in the 12' range - never saw her swim so fast!
I'd peg the largest I've ever seen at 16' - I'm trying to get out to the Flower Gardens in the winter time, where I hear there are often some of the really big boys.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom