manual white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just started playing with white balance and have not noticed this problem yet. I'm going to try to get 2 dives in this week so I can try to make mine do it. Does it do this in any particular depth of water or conditions like bad vis? Are you using a slate or just the sand to balance with? Light or dark subject make a difference? Any particulars would help.

SeaYoda:
I just started playing with white balance and have not noticed this problem yet. I'm going to try to get 2 dives in this week so I can try to make mine do it. Does it do this in any particular depth of water or conditions like bad vis? Are you using a slate or just the sand to balance with? Light or dark subject make a difference? Any particulars would help.

No, depth and conditions varied. The flounder pic was taken in about 20 ft. of water, well lit with full sun. This one was taken at 70ft. The wall colors are very accurate but the water has that funny lavendar look. Viz wasn't the best that day, only about 70ft.

aak.sized.jpg

Dee:
were when I calibrated using a patch of sand. I'm pretty sure that's what I used in this one.
I use a slate, but what is the right distance to hold it away from the lens?

70 ft vis is a great day for me :D .
I've been using the sand for my balance - our sand is very white. I have a wrist slate that is a little grey and I was going to take it along and try it out on my next dive to see if it worked. Patches of sand with no rocks are hard to come by when I'm hunting the fish on the jetties.

SeaYoda:
70 ft vis is a great day for me :D .
I've been using the sand for my balance - our sand is very white. I have a wrist slate that is a little grey and I was going to take it along and try it out on my next dive to see if it worked. Patches of sand with no rocks are hard to come by when I'm hunting the fish on the jetties.

Our sand is more like a "sand beige" color....so I guess the slate would be the better choice for me
Dee, were you using the WAL for your pics?

I used a WA lens for the wall shot but not the Flounder. The sand in that flounder shots upper right corner is the really close to the right color. When I used a white slate it was too white. When I use a slate, I tilt it to the surface to get any surface light, then fill my camera frame with it. Make sure your camera doesn't cast a shadow on the slate. If there's something or someone nearby to hold the slate, it use that instead of trying to hold it myself. It would lots easier to do one handed with the Oly cameras if you could use the shutter button instead of the OK button to set it.

Dee:
It would lots easier to do one handed with the Oly cameras if you could use the shutter button instead of the OK button to set it.
Hear hear! my slate floats away by the time I get the camera balanced and my finger on the OK button....

I get the same thing on some of my Manual White Balance shots. I'm just not techno enough to know what causes it.

Gilligan:
I get the same thing on some of my Manual White Balance shots. I'm just not techno enough to know what causes it.
and there I thought you would be my answer to everything....
How far away do you hold your slate from the camera?

Does this look better? I just used curves to lower the red and masked it to affect only the areas where it was needed.

By the way, I don't know why it happens, but I'm surprised it doesn't happen much more than this. You're telling your camera to add in enough red to make your white-balance target perfectly white. It takes a lot of red to do that. Why it would be restricted to one side or corner I have no idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom