Mares Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abyss Divers:
I took apart my Abyss Y-day shortly after posting the previous pos and cleaned everything and there was loads of sand, gritt, rust oxidations you name it and it was inside of the Abyss! After one hour in 60% vinegar the parts looked like new! I changed all except for the Diaphram that I didn't have! I also did the 2nd stage and my Dacor Viper that I use as my Alternate Airsource!
I didn't have a guage for the middle pressure so I marked the settings before I took it apart and guess what, when everything was put back together I turned the Tank on and my old Abyss worked like a new one! I did a test dive with it in the afternoon! Like a new reg. Buy one! You wont be dispointed!
I guess now you have a little appreciation for what a service does for your equipment. A flip of the seat here and a cracking resistance adjustment there and you are on your way.
I think that Mares is the only one who doesn't replace their diaphragms in annual service and still can't figure out why.

Are you referring to the first stage or the second?

The First stage! It looked like it needed changing and I have one on order I was surprised that it worked with the old one! I did a dive to 40 meters with it and worked like a new one! Best reg I ever owned!

I took my new abyss out on 4 dives this last weekend
I'm very happy with it.

it did make funny sound when it was dry and I took a deep I
breath ...kind of like a sputtering sound ... but if I did not breath so deep it sounded ok .

I'm very happy with my Abyss. :)

I will have it looked at every 50 dives....

better safe then sorry .

Gabriel90512:
I took my new abyss out on 4 dives this last weekend
I'm very happy with it.

it did make funny sound when it was dry and I took a deep I
breath ...kind of like a sputtering sound ... but if I did not breath so deep it sounded ok .

I'm very happy with my Abyss. :)

I will have it looked at every 50 dives....

better safe then sorry .
Did it make a fluttering sound? Did it do it during the dive too or was it only when dry?
I made the experience too when the diaphragm was brand new. After 2-3 dives the noise was gone.
I decided for myself to service every 100 dives or every two years, whichever comes first but as Mares has different requirements in different countries concerning maintaining the warranty, I'd suggest following the recommendations of your dealer and Mares USA.

My fiance and I dove the Abyss on a 100ft wreck in the Bahamas, came home and each bought one. We just got back from Walker's Cay and they performed flawlessly.

Standard is supposed to be service annually to maintain warranty (at least in the US).

Mr Mares:
There seems to be some confusion. Mares have apparently withdrawn the Abyss from sale in the US, but they have just made the octo avalible in Europe this year :11:

Who knows, as i've said before MARES need to get a grip on customer relations :wink:

That's very strange, as the dive shop I frequent here in Middle TN in the USA just got a couple of MR22 Abyss regs in just last week...

Mares website does not say anything about Abyss being discontinued; at least it's still in 2004 model line up.

Lemonade:
Mares website does not say anything about Abyss being discontinued; at least it's still in 2004 model line up.

Head's oms website also doesn't show the reg as discontinued. This is a system through which Mares/Dacor dealers can place orders online.

aquaoren:
The yelllow Abyss octo was released on the market when they changed the appearance in 2000. I remember it was an option when I bought mine in Germany.
Mares is offering different lines of equipment in differnt countries. They are offering suits and BC's(I think) in North America that you'll not be able to get in Europe and on the other hand, I wasn't to find the exact same boots from Germany in Canada(In the LDS, they told me, they have never seen such boots). I remember you couldn't get their tanks in Germany either. I am wondering about their marketing too.

yeah it did make the sound under water.....
on the 3rd dive i did not notice it .. but i was not looking for it :) to much other stuff .....

Back
Top Bottom