Mark of the Tech Diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Lore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Tech Diving Lore

However under some definitions there are varying degrees of Tech Diving. A respected diving scholar John Bantin has listed a ten point Technical Diving Curve and to all intents and purposes it is a benchmark for what level of Technical diver you are. Or more commonly known as the...

Mark of The Tech Diver

The Mark Of The Tech Diver (MOTT) can sometimes be a broad one though, for the purposed of argument and keeping the Status Quo a true 'Tekkie' should be considered in the 7- 10 range. The MOTT is reproduced below...

1. Leisure Diver - Non Technical. Little equipment apart from the basics required. Usually simple and straightforward. Most divers are at this level.

2. Dry Suit Diver - Divers who use a dry-suit. Stepping into Tech diving territory.

3. Deco-Stop Diver - Organisations such as BSAC teach decompression techniques to its divers. Deco stops real or simulated are a signature of Tech Diving.

4. Nitrox Diver - Divers who breath gases of more than 21% O2 to lessen Narcosis and extend bottom time. Added hazard of O2 Toxicity.

5. Semi-Closed Rebreather
- Less bubbles, longer bottom times and more forgiving than a Closed Circuit Rebreather. A good intro for divers wanting to move into CCR territory.

6. Regulator Switching Diver - A diver who uses a Twin Set/Doubles with independent Regs/Manifold. Also divers who carry pony bottles as a reserve.

7. Deep Divers - Tech Divers who go deeper than Recreational limits using tec deep diving techniques and equipment. This is where the true mark of Tech Diving begins.

8. Stage-Deco Divers - Considered by many to be the Zenith of Tech Diving. Utilising multiple cylinders, air, nitrox and 50 - 100% O2. Stage Deco techniques, serious planning and complex dive schedules are utilised.

9. Trimix Divers - The depth limitations of air diving are surpassed. A helium blend is added for reduced narcosis, reduced risk of CNS/O2 Tox. thus increasing depth further. Added deco-times, travel gas considerations and special training are needed, even for experienced tech divers.

10. Closed Circuit Rebreather Divers - Considered by some the most technical of all and a law unto itself outside open circuit and even Tech Diving. Very dangerous in untrained hands.

Source: Technical Diving for Divers

Mark of The Tech Diver

The Mark Of The Tech Diver (MOTT) can sometimes be a broad one though, for the purposed of argument and keeping the Status Quo a true 'Tekkie' should be considered in the 7- 10 range. The MOTT is reproduced below...

In reality, none of the things on your list (alone or in combination) are either necessary or sufficient to serve as the "Mark of The Tech Diver."

:confused:

The "level system" suggested is preposterous. In no-way does it accurately reflect the difficulty of the dive; nor does it accommodate the complexities of depth, time or penetration. I believe that this refers to more difficult recreational dives and it has equated "difficulty" (higher or lower level) with the mixture or type of equipment utilized. This is not necessarily the case.

++RJP :confused:

So a closed circuit Re-breather diver that only dives warm Florida wrecks above 130?
Dry suit? everyone up north is a tech diver?
ya I do not get it or what the list says about anything? or even why define tech diver? obviously the list contains some things that are more technical than flopping into pee temp water in the Caribbean from a charter boat.

maybe have a point system, 1 point for a Dry suit, 4 points for a re-breather, 6 points for diving the Andrea Doria more than 10 times. and when you add up to say 10 points you are a technical diver. but then again why bother.

I think if you phone up VISA they'll be able to tell you if you're a tech diver or not...

I figured this would be a good place to turn up and cook marshmallows.

I had never heard of John Bantin before reading this thread, but interested to note that he is a Brit. Europeans have always pushed "tec-lite" as a much more gradual introduction into diver training (for example, BSAC imposes a recreational air diving limit of 150 feet, rather than 130 feet (PADI) or 100 feet (GUE)), and teaches decompression techniques as an adjunct to basic recreational diver training.

If we can pick them out through the inevitable smoke and flames, there might be some interesting comments made in this thread.

So, I carry a pony and I can call myself a tech diver? Ditto for a basic nitrox certification. How about diving with a BP/W and a long hose? I don't think so....

I respect the real tech divers too much to pretend I have their level of training, deep dive experience and specialized knowledge. However, I am not to proud to learn from their experiences and apply it to my diving.

I think if you phone up VISA they'll be able to tell you if you're a tech diver or not...

Clearest identifier.... :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom