Mark of the Tech Diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather odd negative attacks on a well meaning post. To the objectioners what bullet points belong in the recreational realm besides basic nitrox? :idk:

Rather odd negative attacks on a well meaning post. To the objectioners what bullet points belong in the recreational realm? :idk:

I would put nitrox lower on the scale... And I would drop SCR's from the list - they are almost irrelevant in the states... you barely ever see them... In the last 5 years I've seen 2 dolphins and 1 RB80...

I understand completely what the OP was trying to get across, I think. I have always seen diving as a progression of tool using to achieve goals beyond what was taught in OW class. My progression didn't follow exactly the OP's path, but if I lived further north, it might have. For instance, I use a drysuit only because I get cold during deco, not because I get in cold water, so a drysuit is a tech diving tool, not an open water tool.

I've been following the OP's postings with great interest. I thank the creator that he has thick skin, it takes a lot of gumption to post the things he has around here. I think his conclusions need a lot of fleshing out, especially the scientific diving post, but it is still a good reference, especially for new divers.

Cut the guy some slack.

Rather odd negative attacks on a well meaning post. To the objectioners what bullet points belong in the recreational realm besides basic nitrox? :idk:

Any/all of the bullet points can be either tech or rec - that's the point.

Simply doing a dive that exceeds recreational limits and/or using gear other than a traditional "vacation-diver kit" does not make you a tech diver.

The true "mark of tech diver" should really be comprised of

- tech trained
- tech geared
- tech mindset
- tech approach
- tech dive

Simply doing a dive that exceeds recreational limits and/or using gear other than a traditional "vacation-diver kit" does not make you a tech diver.

- tech trained
- tech geared
- tech mindset
- tech approach
- tech dive

While I agree with you about the true mark of the tech diver as your list points out, I think that the OP didn't write the list for those trained beyond the limits of OW. Remember when you were a noob? Maybe you wanted to know right then and there what steps you had to take before you dove the Doria. Maybe that was your diving goal. Now that you are a tech diver, you might choose another path than you did to attain that goal. I don't think that the OP is too far off the mark.

My primary objection is the simplistic use of equipment used to classify the level of a diver. It goes far beyond that....

I replied since someone might think they are tech if they satisfy one of the simple requirements and dive beyond their ability.

- tech trained
- tech geared
- tech mindset
- tech approach
- tech dive

These dives are all "recreational" unless your involved in commercial diving. I know that the term "technical" is difficult to wrap our head around, but I consider myself a "technical diver" and the aforementioned list falls short of my definition of what in-particular is required by way of training. When you separate recreational from technical I find it confusing. Perhaps the term recreational tech is a better descriptor. 10 days of training (or less) doesn't make you a technical diver imo. It just bends the envelope of recreational diving a bit. :)

The progression seemed fairly unobjectionable, and probably represented a good approximation of the norm for many people, but it had a very European slant to it.

If one wanted to quibble with it, I would have thought you could slot overhead environment training in there at a couple of points. But ultimately training/experience isn't a straight line. You get Helitrox divers who have never had a drysuit on.

While I agree with you about the true mark of the tech diver as your list points out, I think that the OP didn't write the list for those trained beyond the limits of OW. Remember when you were a noob? Maybe you wanted to know right then and there what steps you had to take before you dove the Doria. Maybe that was your diving goal. Now that you are a tech diver, you might choose another path than you did to attain that goal. I don't think that the OP is too far off the mark.

Well, if the OP's list is aimed at noobs then I'd contend that the list is even MORE problematic than I thought!

:shakehead:

Not listing "training, mindset, and approach" as necessary steps to becoming a tech diver - but instead leading haplessly naive folks to believe that merely buying gear is sufficient to do tech dives - is a recipe for disaster.

:shocked2:

The progression seemed fairly unobjectionable, and probably represented a good approximation of the norm for many people, but it had a very European slant to it.

If one wanted to quibble with it, I would have thought you could slot overhead environment training in there at a couple of points. But ultimately training/experience isn't a straight line. You get Helitrox divers who have never had a drysuit on.

He is from the UK so I guess he was due that latitude. No worries. I am not a moderator. Just mixing it up like everybody else....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom