Mask fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[video=youtube_share;TxywBgSkBe4]http://youtu.be/TxywBgSkBe4[/video]

If it is a chemical reaction wit the toothpaste, what is the chemical that causes the reaction with the silicon?

Does all white toothpaste have it?

I have always used the toothpaste method, but I do use a soft cloth and scrub it. I do this 3 times and I have never had an issue with any of my masks.

If it is a chemical reaction wit the toothpaste, what is the chemical that causes the reaction with the silicon?

Does all white toothpaste have it?

I have always used the toothpaste method, but I do use a soft cloth and scrub it. I do this 3 times and I have never had an issue with any of my masks.

I would like to know that as well?

N

So I've tried everything that's been suggested, today I dive with it water was 39f air temp was 60f ducked the mask in to clear the defog and fogged up instantly when I put it to my face

I know you said you burned it but you did not do it corrctly or long enough. It must have black soot on the entire inner lens surface.

Then stick it in HOT water with Dawn soap, rinse throughly with clean water.

Use only something like Sea Drops or similar and do not dunk it in the mask tank.

Do not store the mask with the strap laying against the inner lens surface.

You know, there is not anyway to prevent warm humid air from condensing moisture when you take it to 39 degrees. I think perhaps your expectations are unrealistic. When this happens to me, I let some water in and swirl it about and then clear the mask.

You might be, believe it or not, exhaling though your nose subconsciously, I suspect.

N

Did you cool down your face first? You can work up a sweat while gearing up.

I either fill my mask with cool water and poor it on my face before donning or if I'm diving a quarry, put my face in the water while breathing from my backup reg without the mask on.

The lense had black soot all over it. I didn't cool my face, as I didn't really think about it at the time. I don't think I have unreal expectations since mynold mask never give the first lick of problems its the new one my wife got me that's driving me nuts

Go get some MEK at the hardware store. Take a clean, soft cotton cloth and wet a corner of the cloth and scrub the interior of the lens. Rinse with Dawn. Repeat the burn and wash with Dawn soap.

Note, do not burn until you rinse first to remove the MEK residue, just in case.

If this does not work, sorry, get a new mask.

N

Intersting note on the DGX site...

Don't use toothpaste on modern dive masks, especially those masks that have optical quality ultra-clear glass lenses, vision correction lenses or 'optical coatings' on the lenses. You will either damage the lenses, or needlessly waste toothpaste since most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive. The same goes for using a lighter to 'burn' the lens to prepare a new mask. Dive Gear Express will not warranty masks that have been treated with abrasives or burned with lighters. Most new dive masks do have mold release agents in the flexible skirt that during storage will migrate to the surface of the lens and cause fogging. These deposits can be safely removed with an extra application of a powerful surfactant like baby shampoo, SeaQuick or SeaDrops defog.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/essentials/diveritemasks.shtml

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom