Mask fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is MEK

Methyl ethyl ketone. A powerful solvent. If you just ask your friendly hardware man for MEK he/she(?) will hand you a can of it. It can be hard to find in some locals. I usually get it at Home Depot or Ace Hardware etc.

You say you have tried and correctly done all the usual methods, now I am (beginning to) giving you the unusual methods.

N

The company I work for is getting ready to release a mask that has an antifog coating on it. It is ready to use right out of the package and does not require a lot of maintenance. I hope this will solve a lot of issues that i have been reading. It doesnt seem like there is one solution to defog a mask that works for every mask which sucks. Look for our mask in the coming months as i have multiple people that are on this website frequently trying out the mask right now.

I love mek .... Does so many cleaning jobs ..

Jim...

Will mek have a reaction with the skirt and mess it up

Silicone is quite resistant to most chemicals. However, I did not say to get it on the skirt or plastic parts. I said to put it on a rag and to scrub the lens interior.

You know, a mask is a minor purchase. It is unusable now you say so what do you have to loose? If it is a frameless type do not allow liquid MEK to enter the bonding area. Thus putting it on a rag, not dripping wet.

As you say you have tried all of the usual and conventional methods and done them correctly, you have nothing left but to get a different mask or try extreme measures. Acetone might work just as well as MEK. Both are fairly strong solvents that cut most oils, organic compounds etc. and can remove silicone.

Frankly, I have never had burning the lens to fail. The flame must make contact with the lens and it must be moved deliberately and slowly in a circle beginning in the center and working outward. Good luck.

N

Ok tried everything its not fogging walking around the house for 15mins or so and not in the bath tub so maybe its finally worked. Thanks for all the help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom