Mask Off Exercises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraLynnee

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice from some more experienced divers about a problem that I have. I recieved by certification Fall '05 and had difficulty with the taking off your mask underwater exercise. Everytime I took it off I'd suck water up my nose and then panic. Eventually I was able to complete this by plugging my nose when my mask was off. However, I find now during all of my dives that I'm not completely comfortable in the water knowing that I have issues with this skill and I want to not have that lingering fear in the back of my mind. Is there any way for me to practice this skill (I have a snorkel and a pool I can use) Any other recommendations. Thanks so much for your help!

try in the shallow end, regulator in your mouth with no mask sit or kneel and breathe underwater without a mask. You can also start with the mask sit take the mask off and keep on sitting and relax.

remember, if the mask ever got knocked off you could always plug your nose

Snorkel in the pool will work fine. So will a snorkel in the bath tub. It's a matter of concentrating on breathing only thru your nose. You can sit at your keyboard and practice that. With enough practice, it will become 2nd nature. It just take practice.

Chairman is correct that you need to practice breathing in shallow water without a mask. Also, I would suggest getting in the shallow depth of the pool and clearing your mask about 50 times. You need to MASTER this to where you not only can but LIKE to do it. I am speeking from experience. I hated it and my buddy told me to clean it 50 times and i literally did in his pool, now I can dive all day without a mask. Infact when I take a class to the pool I still practice my skills weekly without a mask (all of them). You can do it... GOod Luck

To get used to removing my mask, I found it helped to exhale through my nose while taking it off. Then as you breathe without your mask, try holding your head tilted a little to one side. That will help keep the bubbles from your reg from pushing water up your nose.

I had the same issue. Took my first OW test in May 02 and didn't get my cert until August 02 because every time I did mask removal I sucked in water through my nose. It was more in my head than anything else. I solved it by spending as much time in the water without a mask as I could. Believe it or not, eventually you will not feel the need for the mask anymore.

May - August, that's a lot of practice. To this day I still perform a full flood when I first get in the water - except when it's really cold. It's like a ritual - works for me.

When new divers have trouble clearing their mask the problem is usually that they have never learned to independently control their nose and mouth. Try this:

1) At the surface, with your head out of the water and no mask, take a full breath and then alternate short bursts of exhalation between your nose and mouth. After you’ve done this several times take a full breath, and do the same thing, only this time submerge your entire face after a few cycles on the surface. Repeat this until you are very comfortable (or feel very stupid<G>).
2) Now put your mask on and repeat the process. Start out of the water, move to face submerged, DO NOT FLOOD YOUR MASK.
3) Now repeat the process, but flood your mask after your first exhalation with your face in the water.
4) Now try and clear your mask, fully submerged, as per normal.
5) Let me know how this works for you.

Go sit in a porta-potty and practice. You'll definitely learn how to breathe through your mouth instead of your nose.

Back
Top Bottom