Mask that leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silicone grease on mask skirt

Easy to try, often works

Perhaps a new mask which will have softer silicone that hardens and yellows over time in salt water?

Last couple of years both my masks started leaking at the same time after years of not doing so. Someone suggested that maybe it's because I lost weight. Could be the wrinkes like with you, since I'm 69. So far I haven't bought another new mask. Seems I can do OK with it by making sure it's very tight on my face and giving a GOOD inhale suck before the dive. Also, if I get a little water in there I leave it, since it seems to really leak after a clear it. If my dives were deeper than my usual 30 feet I'd get a new one and not mess with it.

I have loved my TUSA VISIO TRI-EX MASK. It has a great seal. I got it from Divers Direct years ago but I don't think they offer it anymore. You may want to go through Tusa. Search Google for "M-31-CBL Tusa"

Last couple of years both my masks started leaking at the same time after years of not doing so. Someone suggested that maybe it's because I lost weight. Could be the wrinkes like with you, since I'm 69. So far I haven't bought another new mask. Seems I can do OK with it by making sure it's very tight on my face and giving a GOOD inhale suck before the dive. Also, if I get a little water in there I leave it, since it seems to really leak after a clear it. If my dives were deeper than my usual 30 feet I'd get a new one and not mess with it.
Yes it leaks more after a clear. Unfortunately I have to clear at some point because it leaks a bit too much to just let the water there ! And yes I lost some weight...

You will need to go mask shopping. I like Atomic Frameless and Scubapro Frameless, they have a very universal fit but for you, based on your Avatar, go to a stocking Mares dealer and try some of them on. Mares seem to have a particularly wide and soft seal. I bet one like the X-Vision Liquid Skin might work. Or a Scubapro Frameless Gorilla.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom