Maui dive this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howzit Ed? Glad to hear that you got a chance to dive with Yan. He and I had a pretty good time diving Ulua Beach. We saw some big daddy turtles and a few zebra eels. His girl did a great job keeping up with us too...I think she even beat him on air!

Thanks for the kudos on my Intro class. She was quite apprehensive about the whole diving thing from the get go but with a lot of patience and focus we were able to quickly convert her once she got in the water and saw some fish. Days like that, although harder to get through, are really satisfying. It keeps this business interesting and challenging for me. I'm very happy to hear that they gave you a good report on Shaka Divers. Stop by and say hey if you ever see my SCUBABUS rolling up to the dive site. I don't get over to Black Rock that often but I have had some great dives there. Yan told me that you guys found quite a few eels that night. He really enjoyed the dive he said.

Tim, thanks for the invite. Maybe one of these days we'll blow a tank or two together. Did you hit the water? Where did you go? What were conditions like? I took the weekend off and went to a wedding. Back to the grind tomorrow! Aloha!

I just walked in the door from my 2nd dive today - (still in my wet trunks - poor chair) Started out doing the North side of Honolua this morning with a buddy - vis was about 30ft, no waves or chop at all, average depth 26.5ft 91 minutes. Tonight Ed and I hit Mala warf. 89 minutes with an average depth of 20ft and vis was about 20 ft. We did see a large spanish dancer that I measured at 8.5" long - beautiful! Plus Ed got 1 medium sized bug - not much surge out there either, so all in all a nice day diving, even if the vis wasn't all that great.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Yeah - I gotta get out to Kihei and see about doing a dive with you one of these days.

Whats going on with the vis??

Al Mialkovsky:

Hey Al, got messages from Civil Defense yesterday and today saying the dreaded South Swell is heading our way. I haven't been to the beach this morning but they are predicting 8' to 14' faces on the waves, building to Thursday and finally slowing down on Friday. Could be a week to dust off the board and ride instead of dive. Got some friends coming in this weekend that really want to dive a lot so cross your fingers for me!

Al Mialkovsky:

Oddly enough Honolua had better vis closer in (middle of the bay) than out further - which is odd, considering things have been very flat lately (surfers rejoicing over any wave higher than 3 inches I think) Mala varies a lot because it's at the mouth of a stream which pours lots of sediment into the area and we had a heavy rain 2 days before, so that most likely affected it. Perhaps that is what stirred up Honolua also. The last few weeks even Airport has been less than ideal as far as vis goes - about 50ft instead of it's normal 75ft... but ideal otherwise, not much surge or surf. Current was nice the last time I was there - spent 75 minutes swimming into it, then turned around and 7 minutes later was back where I'd started - lol it was moving at a steady 6-8 inches per second (I don't know what that translates into knots)

I still can't get over that Spanish Dancer last night - anyone know how large they can get? One of the few times I really wish I had a camera :(

oh well, camera or drysuit ... tough decision ... laugh away Al :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Had the $5 brunch in the jazz place in north Kehei with friends Sunday. Sure was calm on Maalaea bay. Had to sit out the weekend with an eye infection -- gotta quit using spit for defog I guess. I'd figure the vis would be better. Anyway, any of you guys going to do the Lahaina reef clean-up this weekend?
Can we stick a bug in our garbage sack?

Mark

Aaaah the south swell. I thought that bad boy came in later in the year usually. If I ever get to live there I'll bring my giantass board of course but 8-14 foot faces would probably send me to a movie theater. Waist high waves are just wonderful at my state of decay.

Drysuit Tim????? Mine is out getting new seals put in again. I do it yearly as I don't want those things going bad in the middle of winter. I get about 300-400 dives a year in that thing and the seals usually look good but I don't wanna take chances. The water is about 60 now and falling fast. Two months and the warmest water around these parts will be around 42 degrees.

But I'll still dive, a lot :)

But I'll still think about Maui.... a lot.

I am trying to get ready for some cold water diving this winter - don't want my first experience in a DS to be in 45*-50* water... Missed a great deal on a new one this morning for $250 :( only one left in stock and it sold before I made a move ... guess it'll wait - or maybe I'll just rent a 7mil suit when I get there ... brrrr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom