Membrane drysuits for hard use - what do people recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a membrane drysuit that will hopefully survive some very hard commercial diving use. Currently I'm considering a Waterproof D7X Nylotech, but I'm wondering what other drysuits people would recommend for this sort of use?

I have that suit, and it's great. However, it is certainly not the sturdiest out there. The "nylotech", whatever that is, is very soft and pliant and I would hesitate to get it into contact with a rusty wreck or whatever it is you consider very hard use. Those around here that want something for those kinds of conditions tend to go with an Ursuit Cordura... There is, or used to be, a D7x Cordura which would probably be better than the Nylotech one. I would probably consider neoprene under the circumstances.

Not a heavy duty neoprene drysuit such as OThree or Otter's offerings?

Not a heavy duty neoprene drysuit such as OThree or Otter's offerings?
Need suit that I can vary the thermal protection for use in a fairly wide range of temperatures so I think that will rule out neoprene unfortunately.

I have that suit, and it's great. However, it is certainly not the sturdiest out there. The "nylotech", whatever that is, is very soft and pliant and I would hesitate to get it into contact with a rusty wreck or whatever it is you consider very hard use. Those around here that want something for those kinds of conditions tend to go with an Ursuit Cordura... There is, or used to be, a D7x Cordura which would probably be better than the Nylotech one. I would probably consider neoprene under the circumstances.
Waterproof don't actually say that they consider the Nylotech to be more abrasion resistant, but they do give some numbers for the D7X Nylotech but don't for the Cordura so I think that they are suggesting that the Nylotech is better - but I could be wrong...

I'm looking for a membrane drysuit that will hopefully survive some very hard commercial diving use.
What kind of work?
Probably better to go with a crush neo instead of thin membrane. SF tech is using pretty tough material, maybe look at those.

And maybe look at what the actual commercial divers use. I think they tend to use neoprene or rubber, rather than membrane.

Need suit that I can vary the thermal protection for use in a fairly wide range of temperatures so I think that will rule out neoprene unfortunately.
If I was doing tough commercial work a M2M crushed neoprene suit would probably be the ticket.

I have experience in both types of suits, dove my neo suit with barely anything under in 75f water, I never felt hot. They're normally less expensive, and to me feel a little more robust.

If Seaskin had a front zip neo suit I might have actually gone that way. The back zip killed it for me, but I know there's some manf that do front zip.

+1 for a crushed neoprene suit. I use an OThree Ri200 for Commercial work and an FE Argonaut for recreational / Tech.

A trilam drysuit wouldn’t last a day on a gnarly commercial job. The crushed neoprene will also offer you more protection against say heavy pile marine growth in a surge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom