Micro Four Thirds for topside shooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cboater

Registered
Reaction score
I have been researching micro four thirds camera systems for a few weeks now. I began with nearly zero knowledge of them and have been daunted by the options available, even just those offered by Olympus. I am leaning towards the ELP-5, OMD-EM5 and OMD-EM1. I am trying to understand the equipment options.

I have been shooting my DSLR (NIKON D80, Nikon 18-55 zoom, Ikelite housing with zoom ring, Ikelite DS160 substrobe) underwater for 7 years. I shoot fish portraits and landscapes and have had nice success. I moved to it from my Canon G9 to get away from the delay and the difficulty using an LCD as a view finder. But, I miss the flexibility to shoot macro or fish portraits or landscapes in the same dive.

I am heading to Indonesia in September for muck diving and a Komodo liveaboard. I know I'll want to have macro, fish portrait and wide angle capability. Plus, my DSLR system is huge and heavy. A smaller, lighter weight system would be helpful.

I am hoping the new camera will replace my DSLRs for topside shooting. I love birding, especially shooting from our canoe on river trips. I take tons of pictures (landscapes and people) in all our travels in all kinds of lighting and all times of day. And, I take the DSLR in my dry bag on whitewater canoeing trips and take pictures of my river buddies surfing waves and running rapids. A decent flash is important for fill in harsh sun or inside shooting.

One attractive thing about the micro four thirds system is the crop factor. I am hoping that I can finally afford to buy a lens that will give me crisp, sharp shots of birds in a 600mm or more equivalent focal length compared to what I get with my Nikons (D80 and D300) and a 70-300 Nikon zoom (soft at 300mm, not a good lower light lens).

How will these Olympus cameras perform for this kind of topside shooting? Which would you recommend if any? What will I miss if I sell my DSLRs?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Right now I am stuck in the muck trying to sort it all out.

I've not used Nikon/Canon cameras. I've been shooting Olympus for years; first the c5050, E-330, and EM5. I have a close friend who is an optics engineer and he recommended Olympus to me. I have not been disappointed. I love my micro four thirds camera. It's so much smaller, lighter, and faster than the DSLRs. Oly glass is great, especially the PRO series. With the advent of the EM5 MKII, you could pick up a used or refurbished EM5 to play with. I don't think you will be disappointed. Oh, yes, the newer m4/3 cameras and lenses are splash proof...

Try before you buy. Maybe rent an outfit for a weekend photo trip.
Personally I prefer my trusty D300 topside. It seems to fit much better in my hand and is much more stable.
Now underwater the extra size of the housing makes the Olympus perfect. For Macro the 60mm or the 14-42 with a diopter.
From Lembeh taken with the 60mm and 1 strobe. I did want a diopter for some of the really small stuff. Two strobes are not really necessary and in sometimes just get in the way.

I have an EM-5 and an EM-1. I'd say if you're interested in birding the EM-1 is the way to go in micro 4/3. It has much more competent autofocus, especially with 4/3 lenses. The biggest hole in micro 4/3 is there aren't any really good long native lenses. There are a couple of consumer grade something to 300mm zooms, which are ok. Right now for birding the best lenses are either the Olympus 4/3 50-200, which can be had quite cheap or the Olympus 4/3 300mm f2.8 which is rare and expensive. Olympus has pre announced a 300mm f4, which based on their other pro series lenses should be a great lens. But it seems unlikely that we're going to see that lens until next year.

Olympus has recently started selling an excellent 40-150 f2.8 micro 4/3 lens, which is compatible with a 1.4x TC. I have this combo, and it's great, but still a bit short for birding.

Hope this gives you some info.

I'm still using my D300 and my D700 for "serious shooting" - whatever that is - topside. The m43s are neat and compact, but in terms of autofocus performance (with the possible exception of the OM-D E-M1, which I haven't tried), and ergonomics, they're no match for a serious dSLR. OTOH, I like to use my E-M5 for vacation and "street" photography because it's small, compact and rather unobtrusive compared to a "serious" dSLR.

It all boils down to priorities and choosing the best tool for the job. And besides, I've got some sweeeet glass for my Nikons which Olympus haven't been able to match. At least not yet...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

... The m43s are neat and compact, but in terms of autofocus performance (with the possible exception of the OM-D E-M1, which I haven't tried), and ergonomics, they're no match for a serious dSLR…

I find the autofocus on the Oly M5 to be much faster and accurate than DSLRs I have used. The advantage of a mirrorless is the sensor is always exposed to the lens — you see what the sensor sees in the viewfinder. It doesn’t have to wait for the mirror to get out of the way for the auto-everything processes to start.

IMHO, reflex systems will be replaced by mirrorless as eye-level displays improve and costs reduce… sooner than later. Just ask yourself: Do you want to see what the lens sees or what the sensor sees though the lens? Getting all that hardware out of the way provides a lot of options for improved lens design as well. M4/3 vesrus full-frame is a separate matter. Just like comparing a full-frame to a Hasselblad, it comes down to what is good enough for the money.

I agree with the small size ergonomics though, but it is perfect for my wife’s tiny hands. I solved that problem by adding the spare battery for topside. No matter what camera you choose, try to see how it feels in your hand. The smaller size sure is nice for traveling and housing size.

I find the autofocus on the Oly M5 to be much faster and accurate than DSLRs I have used.
You've got to have been unlucky with the dSLRs you've been using. The phase detection AF found on quality prosumer-grade dSLRs like the (antiquated?) Nikon D300 or D700 runs circles around the contrast detection AF found on most m43s, including my E-M5. Even today. For action photo with AF tracking, there's simply no contest (again, with the possible exception of the E-M1, which apparently has PDAF).

I could never have gotten these shots with my E-M5.

No matter what camera you choose, try to see how it feels in your hand. The smaller size sure is nice for traveling and housing size.
</thread> :)

I never use DSLR other than Oly E-620; and in my opinion, my EM-1 or even EM-5 is much better and faster than E-620.
Occasionally I take topside pics with 70-300mm; very compact telelenz; not bad for less than 600 bucks lens

2 roland garos by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

or this hummingmoth taken with 60mm macro.

Hummingbird moth 2 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Laura, please take a look at my post on your thread on Wetpixel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom