Mike goes through the new KISS Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they make a drop in canbus compatible cell, I’m extremely tempted to put one in the #4 slot on my chop ; how is that gimmicky?
I said why. Tell me what's the point is having more than 3 cells?
The OS SSS are new... the company was started in 2021... maybe they are better and more reliable. I don't know and I don't know how anyone can know this at this point.
On the other hand, the g cells have been in use for well over 20 years and I don't remember reading about accidents that were likely due to cell failure... there might have been some. I don't know but it doesn't seem to have been a big issue.

The OS SSS are new... the company was started in 2021... maybe they are better and more reliable. I don't know and I don't know how anyone can know this at this point.
On the other hand, the g cells have been in use for well over 20 years and I don't remember reading about accidents that were likely due to cell failure... there might have been some. I don't know but it doesn't seem to have been a big issue.
I’ve had several galvanic cells fail after only a couple of months of use. There are bad batches and you can only find out over time. Solid state O2 tech has been around for a very long time so it’s not as if it’s brand new. Resistance to change more than anything else has kept it out of rebreather tech broadly, but it seems like that thankfully will change soon. Most of us will probably start off adding one cell to our units and seeing how it behaves and after gaining trust I’m sure a lot of people will drop the galvanic cells all together.

I’ve had several galvanic cells fail after only a couple of months of use. There are bad batches and you can only find out over time. Solid state O2 tech has been around for a very long time so it’s not as if it’s brand new. Resistance to change more than anything else has kept it out of rebreather tech broadly, but it seems like that thankfully will change soon.
I know the technology is not new, but the product OS makes is. The ones you can buy from tecme and look like the cells posaidon uses need an external power supply. The OS cells are supposed to work in current ccrs without modification.
I've heard about bad batches and low quality cells from some brands but quality cells that just fail out of the blue on a dive? How often does that happen?
Who's to say that the new cells wont have issues and bad batches?

Having my unit controlled by a known technology while vindicating a new one is of value to me.

Also, having two different technologies measuring po2 is of value to me.

Don’t be a Luddite.

ETA: I didn’t design my rebreather…I didn’t choose to have 4 cells nor am I suggesting it’s required. That said I have 4 and a SSS in the #4 spot seems legit

Having my unit controlled by a known technology while vindicating a new one is of value to me.
That wasn't the question though. Someone ask 'why some ccrs have 4 or 5 cells'. That wasn't done so you can try SSS in the future. Having a 4th or 5th g cells I think is gimmicky... if you want a 4th port to try some new cell, that's a different topic.

We were typing at the same time, see the edit to post 54

I agree that this is not something for cave exploration but more for those of us that want to move into CCR but will never be doing deep cave dives, etc. Just watching how loaded down these guy are with a full sidewinder setup makes it seem like more work / less fun. I would be excited to try the GO with my sidemount setup as I could use something much smaller than LP85s. Is there a calculation to determine how much dive time 3 pounds of sorb gives on average?
Yep if it did for diving, what the gopro did for photography, definitely.

That wasn't the question though. Someone ask 'why some ccrs have 4 or 5 cells'. That wasn't done so you can try SSS in the future. Having a 4th or 5th g cells I think is gimmicky... if you want a 4th port to try some new cell, that's a different topic.
The value for having five cells with completely separate hardwired electronics is that I have two independent calculations of my decompression obligation. A cell that is off but not enough to get voted out continues to be factored into the calculation for the computer and can sometimes lead to significantly different decompression obligations. Sometimes in the range of 10-15 minutes depending on how long or deep your dive is. A 1.35, 1.27, 1.22 wouldn’t necessarily raise alarm bells but it will definitely throw the algorithm out of wack. It’s not practical to just “cancel your dive” at the back of a cave when you notice your cells are off so having the redundancy is welcome. Having more reliable solid state cells would mean that number could be reduced without compromising safety.

I agree that this is not something for cave exploration but more for those of us that want to move into CCR but will never be doing deep cave dives, etc. Just watching how loaded down these guy are with a full sidewinder setup makes it seem like more work / less fun. I would be excited to try the GO with my sidemount setup as I could use something much smaller than LP85s. Is there a calculation to determine how much dive time 3 pounds of sorb gives on average?
I would use it for cave exploration - not all caves have a bloody picnic table and stairs to the water lol. The sidewinder is a huge pain to put on in small spaces. Although I am not a fan of the Kiss build quality in general and highly unlikely to buy a Go

3lbs (like any CCR) will be highly dependent on temperature along with depth and workload. In Mexico that's easily 3hours. In my local caves maybe an hour or 90mins, but when your BO is 2x al40s or 2x lp45s you aren't going to be vast distances from the surface.

Same as LP85s at what depth? Because I'm sure not seeing 2hrs at 30m on LP85s, but from what I've read that's not unreasonable with 3# of sorb.
That said this particular form factor likely isn't for me but the tech is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom