Mini DV tape quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all video expert,

Is there any particular brand preferred?

I check the ebay for the Mini DV tape. It is much cheaper on ebay than the BestBuy though. I don't know what is the main difference between the brands.

For example, is there any quality difference between Sony and Panasonic tapes?

I am using Sony PC100 and PC1000.

Thanks in advance,

aloha hoosier,

there is a big difference that most people don't know about.
you should always use the same brand as your camera.
they are tested with same and each tape has different elemenst about them that work better with their prospective cameras. tension on tape, and tape structure.

aloha

When I bought mine (Sony TRV-17) years back, I was told to use Sony tapes exclusively because the lubricant is different in Sony and Panasonic tapes and if you mix the two it can gum up the heads. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that?

Thanks for all good info...

I didn't know that there is a such kind of thing on the tepe.....

Super.....

Like Dr. Bill said, I hear the same thing about the lubricants on the tapes...

As long as you stick with one kind or another (for the most part) you'll be fine. I believe it's more a SONY tapes vs. everyone else.

So if you're buing tapes at Costco or Sam's Club... just stick with the Maxell or TDK tapes that they have, and don't switch off to sony.

drbill:
When I bought mine (Sony TRV-17) years back, I was told to use Sony tapes exclusively because the lubricant is different in Sony and Panasonic tapes and if you mix the two it can gum up the heads. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that?

True. However, as far as I know, it's only the Sony formulation that is an issue. So if you have a sony camera use sony tapes. If you don't have a sony camera, you can use other brands of tapes just fine. I use JVC and Panasonic tapes. My camera is a Panasonic, and my DV VCR is a JVC.

PerroneFord:
So if you have a sony camera use sony tapes.
Cool. I just started playing with a Sony video camera. Good to know.

hoosier:
Hi all video expert,

Is there any particular brand preferred?

I check the ebay for the Mini DV tape. It is much cheaper on ebay than the BestBuy though. I don't know what is the main difference between the brands.

For example, is there any quality difference between Sony and Panasonic tapes?

I am using Sony PC100 and PC1000.

Thanks in advance,

I've used a couple of sellers on eBay for Sony Mini DV tapes for the last year or so, and they all seem to have worked fine (no noticable difference from the store bought ones at 2x the price)

I also used the Sony "enhanced color" tape the other weekend, and saw no appreciable difference with it.

Sony PC-350 camera

PerroneFord:
True. However, as far as I know, it's only the Sony formulation that is an issue. So if you have a sony camera use sony tapes. If you don't have a sony camera, you can use other brands of tapes just fine. I use JVC and Panasonic tapes. My camera is a Panasonic, and my DV VCR is a JVC.
Unless you start with the cheaper tapes right away... I've never had a problem, and have recorded hundreds of hours of video with Maxell and TDK tapes without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom