Mini DV tape quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep,

You just dont want to go back and forth and mix tape lubrication types. One is a wet type, the other dry. Which gunks the heads. I just avoid Sony tapes.

PerroneFord:
Yep,

You just dont want to go back and forth and mix tape lubrication types. One is a wet type, the other dry. Which gunks the heads. I just avoid Sony tapes.
Does using one of those tape head cleaners help get rid of this "gunk". For the Sony camera I'm using, I'm not sure what tapes have been used.

Cleaning tape heads is sensitive work. Those cleaners rarely do much more than just scratch the heads...

At least in my opinion, but I'm not an expert.

PerroneFord:
Cleaning tape heads is sensitive work. Those cleaners rarely do much more than just scratch the heads...

At least in my opinion, but I'm not an expert.
Darn...I want the easy answers. LOL. But this camera has issues sometimes, some distortion of the video when the tape starts and I wonder if its this issue that is causing it. Not getting the right tape speed for the camera to work properly.

I'm just thinking out loud, trying to "debug" the problem. Cause if I can solve it, I will buy the camera.

Might want to try a cleaning. They used to sell nice cleaning kits at Radio Shack. Try that. Long swabs (look like q-tips on steroids), some evaporative cleaner, etc.

Thanks guys... I just ordered 5 pack Sony tapes off eBay. I can get two more tapes at the same price with the 3 pack in Bestbuy....

are you guys for real.....didn't you read my post.
please stick to the same tape brand as your camera.
I was a Sony Engineer...trust me.

Aloha.

MAUI DIVER:
are you guys for real.....didn't you read my post.
please stick to the same tape brand as your camera.
I was a Sony Engineer...trust me.

Aloha.

I find that hard to believe.

I've shot quite a bit of video over the years.

Of course... the company line...

OH NO!! I used TDK DVDs in my SONY DVD recorder... I wonder if my warranty is void.

Yes, we understand that the Sony unit wants the wet lubrication and other tapes do not provide it. Which is why I won't buy Sony cameras any longer. Everyone else in the industry does things the simple way, Sony does things their own way.

Matsu****a RULES!

LOL!

PerroneFord:
OH NO!! I used TDK DVDs in my SONY DVD recorder... I wonder if my warranty is void.

Yes, we understand that the Sony unit wants the wet lubrication and other tapes do not provide it. Which is why I won't buy Sony cameras any longer. Everyone else in the industry does things the simple way, Sony does things their own way.

Matsu****a RULES!

LOL!

I see you point. It reminds me of the beta VCR war a long time ago.

However, why not? Is it a big deal to get the sony tape with the sony unit?

I mean you decided the camera based on the tape media?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom