Mini wall at turtle farm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvturtle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How is the mini wall dive at the turtle farm?Have read a little about it but am wondering if its worth trying.Also has anyone done any shore dives at smiths cove?Thanks

The Turtle Farm Reef mini-wall is one of Grand Cayman's best shore dives. It's particularly good at night - the night shift includes octopi (what the @#$%* is the plural of octopus?) and slipper lobsters.

Smith Cove is a decent shore dive - sand flats and coral heads scattered about. At night, though, it becomes a hangout for bored 20-year-olds so don't leave any gear on the shore.

Alex777:
The Turtle Farm Reef mini-wall is one of Grand Cayman's best shore dives. It's particularly good at night - the night shift includes octopi (what the @#$%* is the plural of octopus?) and slipper lobsters.

yup.. that's what i heard too, though i've never gotten to dive it

the plural of octopus is octopuses (not octopi)

octopus comes from Greek (not Latin), and thus the Latin plural "i" is not appropriate. if you want to be picky, you can use the Greek plural octopodes ... but ... most people will go, huh?

yes, i am a nerd

MMMM - "octopodes" - I like it. It has a certain air of sophistication - not your usual stinkin' diver talk. And when people ask, I will give you full attribution. :wink:

Next time you're on Grand Cayman, I really do suggest a night dive at Turtle Farm Reef. Besides octopodes, there are numerous scorpionfish, peacock flounders, sting rays, squid, etc. Check under the very first coral head for a green moray, who hangs out there. The Cracked Conch Restaurant, which is right at the dive site, is open again.

I was in Grand Cayman a l-o-o-o-o-n-g time ago. I think we had to "sneak" out to dive this. Do you have to pay to dive at that site? I loved the dive, even during the day!

great dive, plan to do two mini wall dives there, one going left at the mini wall and the other going right. The big wall is also worth diving there, bit of a swim but beautiful!

The dive is free (unless you want a guide), steps in place, place to set up and everything. You need to rent the tanks from Divetech, that is the price of admission!

It is a great dive. Last year the Tarpon cave was full of silversides and we did several night dives to watch the Tarpon feeding on them. Also saw a Goliath Grouper in addition to all the usual suspects. Check out the sand flats just beyond the wall,lots of Tile Fish and Garden Eels,maybe a Stingray

Back
Top Bottom