Minimum age for Scuba Diving

What age is appropriate to begin Scuba training?

• 10 years old

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • 11 years old

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 12 years old

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • 13 years old

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 14 years old

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • 15 years old

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 16 years old

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • 17 years old

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Any age

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Adults (18+) only

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kids should always be kids and do kids' stuff.

Yeah ... like writing Thank You notes to your instructor ...

alishathanks.jpg

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My daughter grew up with water, having lived in Jeddah and Dubai where I was always off diving somewhere, so it was no surprise that she wanted to dive also.

I spent weeks with her in the pool making sure she was totally comfortable and understood how all the equipment worked, so that when she did inevitably take her PADI junior open water she sailed through it with ease

We have two dive trips planned this year during her summer break from university, and I think she has an eye on one of my housings too

Attachments

• Yanni1a.jpg
    Yanni1a.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 61
you can argue this point about any sport which involves the risk of physical ingury.

kids do horse riding which can easily hurt of kill. the only difference is that SCUBA diving you can hurt or kill your buddy (as well).

I've DM'd for 3 12yo's and a few more 14yo's.... it is dependent on the kid, but as a general rule, I'd consider lifting the age to 14. the biggest problem with the 12yo kids has been pure strength to actually pick up a 12L tank, weights and gear.

I would also implore ALL parents to be realistic about their kid's ability to dive. If they are not sporty and heavily involved in outdoor activities and of an outgoing, determined personality i would really suggest that they not dive just yet....

NWGratefulDiver:
Yeah ... like writing Thank You notes to your instructor ...

alishathanks.jpg

I :love4: the 9-legged octopus :)

Osric

A reasonable indicator (after having been given the explanation of
the folly of the opposite sex and the accompanying substances and
the ramifications of everything) of the passion of the prospective diver person, would be when the said young person reveals in the trunk of
their car, all the stuff that they have been intrepidly collecting over a reasonable period, already having read some manuals and books and practiced using ithe gear in friends pools and saying

I'm ready folks, I would like you to sign a consent form please.

The OP asked two questions. The poll asks:
“What age is appropriate to begin Scuba training?” and the post seeks opinions about:
“…what age is old enough to be a responsible diver and dive buddy.”

For the former, any age. If a child progresses comfortably through learning how to swim and snorkel, the various agencies’ pool-only experiences that currently start as young as age 8 are fine. Certification can follow as they successfully accomplish the relevant training. The various agency age limitations/restrictions appear to be reasonable compromises.

But as for being a responsible diver and buddy, I lean toward 18 – which is also the age of greater legal accountability in many jurisdictions.

There is no reason to treat a Jr diver as an equal partner during a dive. My guess is that most are not responsible enough for that. They can still enjoy the wonders of diving with adequate supervision.

We don't expect my grandson to act like an adult when we dive. He is an added responsibility that two adult divers take on. We know he is not ready to be a real buddy.

I voted 10, but I would have voted 8 if I had been able to.

I learned at age 9 (from my Dad). My own son did the PADI Seal Team course at age 8 and had a blast, although I didn't take him to open water until he was 9 too.

Intellectually kids are like sponges. If they are interested, they just absorb what you teach them at those ages. Physically, people treat them like glass, but in many ways they are much more resilient than adults.

As with all things, one needs to consider carefully the limitations of an 8-10 year old diver (I didn't take my son below 20 fsw for about a year). But I think it is all upside (a) introducing younger children to the beauty of the silent world, and (b) the younger you start an activity, the better you are likely to be at it.

Anyone besides me concerned with the potential impact pressure may have on developing bones?

Not me. Are you concerned because you have read any studies on the bone density of young divers diving once every couple of weeks to relatively shallow depths, or because you tune into the general paranoia that kids are fragile and must be treated as such?

Just paranoid. There's not much history to go by so I just wonder if it's worth the risk to wait a few years. I voted 14 by the way . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom