Mobile Broadband in Manado and Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be heading to Manado and RA in Feb 2011. Was just wondering, what are my options for cellphone coverage and 3G (or even GPRS/EDGE) internet via prepaid cards? I figured that its my best option for internet is via such a prepaid sim card

Can anyone tell me whats my best option for Manado and RA? Can I even get cellphone coverage in RA? I am not entirely sure which parts the LOB is going to unfortunately but I figure that perhaps someone can give me a rough idea what telecoms company to go with!

THanks!

The major cellphone companies in Indo are: Telkomsel, Indosat and XL.
In general Telkomsel and Indosat have better coverage in rural areas.

You won't have problem getting 3G (or even HSDPA) coverage in Manado.
I've never been to RA, so I don't know if there's any cellphone coverage there.

Yes, I think prepaid SIM card is your best option, most people here use prepaid rather than monthly cellphone subscription.

A prepaid starter pack cost about 10000 rupiahs (1 USD).
As for 3G/GPRS access, you can buy a monthly internet package or pay-as-you-go.

I use Telkomsel's monthly internet offering and it cost 125000 rupiahs (13 USD).
I think other carriers have similar offerings.

I'm not sure about Telkomsel's pay-as-you-go internet rate, but Indosat's PAYG internet cost 100 rupiahs per minute or ~2 rupiah per KB.

Thanks for the info :) Will pick up a card in Manado when I arrive.

After you leave Sorong around 1 hour, the port where you start your LOB there's no cellphone coverage anymore. I forget it will takes how many hours to RA, the entire areas in RA dont have cellphone coverage, you just can use satellite phone which always provide in the boat but you have to pay it and its expensive.

I was on the Sea Safari III a few weeks ago and we cruised from Ambon to Sorong. The crew were using their cell phones almost daily. There were some areas with no cell coverage, but a large percentage of our route, it seemed, had cell coverage.

Sue

Thanks Kev and Sue :)

It seems like it depends on the route taken by the LOB...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom