Moisture munchers - DC1000 Elite kit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a dehydrator or the oven on about 180 degrees. Both work great. they turn REALLY blue (bluer than when they were bought)

I use a dehydrator or the oven on about 180 degrees. Both work great. they turn REALLY blue (bluer than when they were bought)
How long do they stay dark blue after that?

I think there is a caution about the renewed blue color. That indicator turns blue on rejuvenation faster than the desiccant completely restores. For example, the Damp Rid may turn the MMs blue quickly, but really needs several days to really restore; I use it to keep my MMs blue, then after use - leave them in for at least a week to be sure they restore fully, then store them that way indefinitely.

I just tried the Damp Rid and it works great. Would seem worth while and worth a couple extra bucks if the MM's were vacuum sealed individually in like a bubble pack (similar to what some medications come in) or something. Shame to buy a 10-pack and use all 10 on one dive. Once the package is open, they are all used.

I just ordered some Damp Rid from Amazon (free shipping and a better price than wally world) so I am about to be a "Damp Rid" person on my munchers. I opened up my case Sunday to find EVERYTHING pink. I had to load the camera outside and the first half of the dive I was fogged.

Look familiar?

p104974677-3.jpg

I just ordered some Damp Rid from Amazon (free shipping and a better price than wally world) so I am about to be a "Damp Rid" person on my munchers.
Got a link to that offer...?

Damp Rid is so cheap, Wal Mart, U-Haul, all sorts of places like hardware stores have it. It works great to rejuvenate all sorts of silica bags and moisture absorbent materials. Works super great.

N

It's so dry where I live, it was difficult to find here. I bet it would be good for a cell phone dropped in water briefly if it hadn't been turned on. I dropped one in a cup of coffee once. Took the battery out and let it dry overnight. Worked for over a year beyond.

How long do they stay dark blue after that?
With the oven... So far, 6 months (and counting) when placed in an air tight seal.

People have given me MMs as presents for some time now. I generally save the packaging and store them in that with a zip-lock sandwich bag around the packaging...

I usually 'revitalize' mine when I have about three dozen that are pink (They last for weeks inside the camera and the strobe [keeping both dry])

I pop them on a pizza tray into the oven at 170 over night. In the morning, I pull them out and put them into the air tight sealed bags and place them into a zip-lock sandwich bag. I lost 3 in the beginning (due to using too much heat at 250 F). I have not lost one since lowering the temperature on the oven....

NOTE: I have a digital oven that will go down to 150 F. I just have to code in a temp lower on Bake than the original value
---

To experiment, I recently bought the "DampRid Refillable Moisture Absorber", pretty much a small bucket with a lid. I opened and used 1/2 the absorber in the "bucket" and stored the rest (DampRid Product cost - about $12 US). It took a good week, but my MMs were just as blue as they were after baking.

Noticed differences:
After baking, my MMs last approx. 3 weeks in the camera, about 15 dives, with 5 battery/card changes

After DampRid, my MMs last approx. 1 week in the camera, about 5 dives, with 2 battery/card changes

Please note that this is a VERY preliminary observation as I have only been using the DampRid for 2 weeks. I HAVE moved all of my MMs to the DampRid bucket for this test, so I will have additional observations for MMs that stay in DampRid for a longer period. I also moved 6 MMs to a sandwich bag with a bit of DampRid to my 'Save-a-dive' kit just in case

With the oven... So far, 6 months (and counting) when placed in an air tight seal.

People have given me MMs as presents for some time now. I generally save the packaging and store them in that with a zip-lock sandwich bag around the packaging...
:hmmm: Seems like mine start to turn as soon as I open a package and grab one,so I put the new ones in Damp Rid to keep the fresh. I do use Freezer bags, not sandwich, as they seem more durable. I just keep rotating the same dozen. Got another new package of 10 before I started DR, but no plans to open it now.
To experiment, I recently bought the "DampRid Refillable Moisture Absorber", pretty much a small bucket with a lid. I opened and used 1/2 the absorber in the "bucket" and stored the rest (DampRid Product cost - about $12 US). It took a good week, but my MMs were just as blue as they were after baking.
Uh, wow?! :shocked2: I bought the 42 ounce carton for $4. Some sites do charge up to $7 but I avoided shipping by picking up at a Walgreens in Lubbock. Don't know how Sab got free shipping from Amazon? What size did you buy for $12 and many are you storing in half of that? :confused:
SH-01.jpg
Noticed differences:
After baking, my MMs last approx. 3 weeks in the camera, about 15 dives, with 5 battery/card changes

After DampRid, my MMs last approx. 1 week in the camera, about 5 dives, with 2 battery/card changes

Please note that this is a VERY preliminary observation as I have only been using the DampRid for 2 weeks. I HAVE moved all of my MMs to the DampRid bucket for this test, so I will have additional observations for MMs that stay in DampRid for a longer period. I also moved 6 MMs to a sandwich bag with a bit of DampRid to my 'Save-a-dive' kit just in case
Looking forward to your comparisons. I don't do anything but store mine in DR so don't know the differences.

:hmmm: Seems like mine start to turn as soon as I open a package and grab one,so I put the new ones in Damp Rid to keep the fresh. I do use Freezer bags, not sandwich, as they seem more durable. I just keep rotating the same dozen. Got another new package of 10 before I started DR, but no plans to open it now.
Mine took almost a week here in Fl. to change in the slightest...

Uh, wow?! :shocked2: I bought the 42 ounce carton for $4.
My pickup was from Home Depot... I believe the pic was above, if not...
FG01_08.jpg

Price: $23.59

Looking forward to your comparisons. I don't do anything but store mine in DR so don't know the differences.
Comparison to follow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom