Moisture munchers - DC1000 Elite kit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And where is Damprid available?
Got mine at Walgreens. You can get it online too. I got the quart size that is sold for refilling their dispensers.

Whoa there! The blue indicators are last to change when absorbing moisture and first to change on rejuvenating so you show good before you really are totally, I think.

We stopped diving 5 days before we left the island :) (BTW one of my other passions is astronomy, and the Mauna Kea observatories are over 13,000 feet above sea level... you might imagine these two things don't mix well without a bit of "in between" time.

We stopped diving 5 days before we left the island :) (BTW one of my other passions is astronomy, and the Mauna Kea observatories are over 13,000 feet above sea level... you might imagine these two things don't mix well without a bit of "in between" time.
Went there once before scuba - wearing the same shorts I wore at sea level. Lovely drive thru the coulds and great sights on top, but brrrrr...!

Stopped at walmart last week and picked up a can of damprid or whatever the brand was and tossed 4 pink MM's in a ziploc bag with the wonderful little white pebbles.
One week later the MM's are blue as blue can be.
The stuff works great.

Hi all, thanks for the tip about DampRid. But here's my question. Moisture munchers absorb moisture and so they need rejuvenation. How does DampRid work? Wouldn't that also keep absorbing moisture and ultimately become useless? Thanks!

Hi all, thanks for the tip about DampRid. But here's my question. Moisture munchers absorb moisture and so they need rejuvenation. How does DampRid work? Wouldn't that also keep absorbing moisture and ultimately become useless? Thanks!
Yeah probly. If you notice your MMs not turning blue as fast after a while, replace it. It's so cheap. Mine was still working good after over a year but I did anyway.

Per the DampRid site, this is calcium chloride. If you are determined to save money, buy in bulk from swimming pool supply stores. And if you are really determined to save money, here's a tip I saw on Thriftyfun.com:

"Just to let everyone know you can recycle DampRid and other similar products forever. After your container of Damp Rid has filled up with water just take a Pyrex bowl and line it with aluminum foil. Pour the Damp Rid and water solution into the bowl with the foil lining and put it in the oven at a very low temperature. Make it as low as you can get it, 200 degrees or less. If you put the temp too high it will boil and make a giant mess. Let the water evaporate completely and you will be left with a dry white powder. This powder sticks to any surface, that is why it is essential to line the bowl with foil or you will never get the powder out of the bowl. Pull the powder and foil out of the bowl, wrap in a towel and hit it with a hammer until the powder is all broken up. Then you can put it back in the original Damp Rid container and re-use it. You can do this forever.
NOTE: Make sure you put a cookie sheet under the bowl while drying out the liquid. Do not use a temperature above 200 degrees. If this stuff boils over you will have the most complete and utter mess you have ever had in your life, your oven will never be usable again. You have been warned. (05/17/2008)"

Yes, he really said "... can do this forever..."!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the oven, DD!!!

Oy vey!!! The things us humans do...

First we strap on a tank & regulator (not to mention the rest of the paraphernalia) and go underwater. Then we insist on taking a camera with us. So we need a housing. Then we need a moisture muncher to take care of condensation etc in the housing. Then we need to rejuvenate the MM. Then we want to rejuvenate the rejuvenator....

Here's my question: How did we get to rule this planet???

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the oven, DD!!!
:lol:​
At $4 or $5 for a quart, I think I'll accept those findings without my own trial. The article didn't say to wear protective glasses while hammering? Hate to get CaCl in my eye. :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom