Moray Eel attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point about not touching is that it increases that odds that you will do no damage.

i saw a perfect example of a "relatively harmless" creature causing a stir in the keys... well actually the 'relatively harmeless' creature that caused it was just a dumb diver. i watched as two divers attempted to 'wake up' a sleeping turtle nestled in some coral, first by blowing their octo purges at it and then by touching it. Well the little (big actually) guy woke up startled and turned and bolted outta there faster then i've ever seen a turtle move. In the process of turning and bolting, one of his rear flippers kicked the reg out the divers mouth and sufficiently kicked his mask to push it up his face and fill it with water. Needless to say the guy freaked, swallowed some water and bolted for the surface... he's lucky he was in about 25ft of water or he would've died or been severely bent, instead just a bruised up ego.

Back on the boat the phrase "So what did you learn.... ?" was tossed around quite a bit.

...I guess I am not a fan of "blanket" statements to never do anything. With proper training and experience, these types of interactions can be a positive and rewarding experience with no impact on the marine organism.

I understand what you are saying cappyjohn, and I think that if a diver is educated and for sure knows what they are doing, fine.

But for the general diving population (me included!), the don't touch rule is safest. That way there are no nasty surprises for the marine life or the diver.

Best wishes.

I like to lick toads. Has anyone tried licking a morey...at night?:rofl3:

"must be one great wetsuit" the new Henderson hyperstretch. It really stretches. I guess even the teeth stretched down. No holes .

B

Reminds me of the time I was diving in Bonaire at night when a 10' Green Moray swam parallel to me, about 8 feet away. I felt even that was too close and gently created a much larger gap. Those rather large razor sharp teeth had my respect!

Still, what a spectacular creature.

Does touching a toad make it a better experience? I have spent a lot of time in the woods, and on hikes. Never once did touching anything make the experience better--looking at organisms and nature in isolation is what makes it beautiful.

For you. To each his own.

Fact of the matter is we barely understand the ocean ecosystem. For instance, coral looks like a rock, but if you touch it you have destroyed a colony of organisms. There is no need to touch anything, and really only has the chance to harm. We should be observers so that everyone can enjoy what is down there in it's natural state. Now, if you are minding your business, and something wants to touch you, then that is a different matter....

Wouldn't it be nice to more than "barely understand the ocean ecosystem"? If man didn't have natural curiosity to learn and explore we would still be in the dark ages:D. It all comes down to acting respectfully.

Why are divers reaching out to touch eels? I'm not sure about eels, but most aquatic animals have some sort of mucous coating that protects them from infection. Touching them interrupts the mucous barrier and leaves the animal vulnerable to disease.
I've seen the bite mark that an eel leaves on a hand that comes too close. Even 8 months later the scar looked angry!

People 'experience' their environment in a host of ways via the 5 senses, and may feel more 'connected' when they touch something, even briefly. Seems to be human nature. Not always wise to do in every situation, but understandable.

I've thought about the slime coating issue; people are discouraged from handling pet aquarium fish to avoid disrupting this, and anglers who release their catch are encourage to minimize handling for the same reason.

Then again, moray eels crawl around on the bottom to some extent. Stands to reason they 'get touched' from time to time naturally.

Richard.

Then again, moray eels crawl around on the bottom to some extent. Stands to reason they 'get touched' from time to time naturally.

Richard.

They also come out and attempt to try and steal fish from spearfishermen, which results in them getting "touched" with steel. My buddy shot one Saturday when it came in too close. He has a Taiwanese friend here who knows how to cook them

They also come out and attempt to try and steal fish from spearfishermen, which results in them getting "touched" with steel. My buddy shot one Saturday when it came in too close. He has a Taiwanese friend here who knows how to cook them

I guess it's a good thing the animals are more benevolent than humans, otherwise we would all be attacked every time we "get too close."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom