Moray Eel attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For you. To each his own.

Well, I would say fine except that if YOU touching the environment prevents ME from enjoying it, then you can't just pass it off as isolated issues. Lets look at this logically. If you touch the reef, for instance, and it gets destroyed then no one else gets to see it. However, if you are more cautious and you dont touch anything then EVERYONE can enjoy the ecosystem. This can't be boiled down to a "whatever floats your boat" conclusion, because the ramifications extend beyond individuals.

Wouldn't it be nice to more than "barely understand the ocean ecosystem"? If man didn't have natural curiosity to learn and explore we would still be in the dark ages:D. It all comes down to acting respectfully.

Well, this is true. BUT most understanding in science is based on hypotheses and then testing those hypotheses. I wont say that nothing was learned by simple investigation, but I would venture to say that no much of our current understanding of marine life,ecosystems, and biodiversity was expanded due to touching. If there is a goal to understanding what exists then fine. You can control it, record it, understand it. However, if you just want to "connect" with or "see what that feels like" then you aren't broadening our scientific understanding.

That all being said, thank you for the lively discussion--it has been enjoyable:)

"However, if you just want to "connect" with or "see what that feels like" then you aren't broadening our scientific understanding."

Not true, many of us are learning that Moray Eels are devilish little bastards and can be very harmful if not treated with caution, contrary to popular belief. :rofl3:

B

"However, if you just want to "connect" with or "see what that feels like" then you aren't broadening our scientific understanding."

Not true, many of us are learning that Moray Eels are devilish little bastards and can be very harmful if not treated with caution, contrary to popular belief. :rofl3:

B

Ahhh, touche'

In all seriousness though, I believe eels have come to expect something from humans. They have been fed numerous times over the years, and when they see a human, they expect food. An easy meal. Just like the bears at Yellowstone.

In all seriousness though, I believe eels have come to expect something from humans. They have been fed numerous times over the years, and when they see a human, they expect food. An easy meal. Just like the bears at Yellowstone.
I've never seen anyone feed a moray. I don't think I would dive with them again if I did; that's just stupid.

Years ago I did take a zip lock of dry cat food down with me. Compressed really well at 35 ft, then I opened it. Bad move. The triggers and cudas were all over me. One cuda follwed me the rest of the dive; could not shake him. Never again! Well, maybe frozen spinach, but it's really bad for the fish, ala Yellowstone bears - and I would never feed or even hang around a begging bear.
They also come out and attempt to try and steal fish from spearfishermen, which results in them getting "touched" with steel. My buddy shot one Saturday when it came in too close. He has a Taiwanese friend here who knows how to cook them
:lol:​

. BUT most understanding in science is based on hypotheses and then testing those hypotheses. I wont say that nothing was learned by simple investigation, but I would venture to say that no much of our current understanding of marine life,ecosystems, and biodiversity was expanded due to touching. )

That's just not true. All organisms that have been identified and classified scientifically were killed and preserved in Davidson's solution. The methods for collecting was random fishing, hunting for and specifically targeting a suspected new species. Poisons are also used to get fish out of holes etc.
The guys who identify fish don't accept hypothesis as to the possibility of a new species. Dorsal spines, scales between pectoral fin and gill cover etc etc are all done on dead and preserved fish.
I would venture to say that this is true of any species of anything in the sea.

OK. But usually collected with a purpose, right? They are preserved and dissected. Just touching things isn't really teaching you anything (except for maybe, as mentioned above, don't touch). Also, while a specimen is useful to study anatomy and toxins etc, you can learn a whole lot with simple observation. In fact many great biologists just observed and never needed to collect any specimens.

From what i understand (and I could be wrong since I am not a zoologist) collecting specimens is just not nearly as popular as it once was. Description of new species along with photographs to catalog is far more popular. Also, population studies are more informative at times, because they allow for both commercial and conservation benefits.

Regardless, I would not equate touching of animals/marine life by a recreational diver to zoologic studies.

The specimens have to be stored for future reference by peers. "yeah, I saw it on this reef in the Philippines and here's a picture...if you look real close..." doesn't cut it.
But you're right. I don't agree with touching but I'm not a fanatic about it either. Ever see what turtles do to sponges and anything else they choose to sit on? Just because we breath air (like turtles) doesn't mean we're not allowed to touch anything down there. We're just another predator. At least I am. :D

Well, I would say fine except that if YOU touching the environment prevents ME from enjoying it, then you can't just pass it off as isolated issues. Lets look at this logically. If you touch the reef, for instance, and it gets destroyed then no one else gets to see it. However, if you are more cautious and you dont touch anything then EVERYONE can enjoy the ecosystem. This can't be boiled down to a "whatever floats your boat" conclusion, because the ramifications extend beyond individuals.

While I agree with you about not touching the reef (corals), I think your example is an overstatement, it goes from a generalization (although a legitimate one) as a blanket statement for all touch based encounters. Certainly touching corals is bad and it can have ramifications for future divers, but the examples I provided in my post (touching a turtle that followed me for 30 minutes during a dive, picking up a cushion star from the sand, allowing Pederson cleaning shrimp to hop on and "clean" my nails, allowing a basket star to "grab" my finger) are instances where future divers are not affected. Experience, training, and common sense can lead to positive encounters and CAN make dives more enjoyable, IMHO.

From what I was told this Moray is almost blind and has bitten people in the past. My dad took this video and I'm the guy on the left. The guy on the right just finished his OW and this was his first day of diving certified. Gave him a little scare but didn't bite him!

YouTube - Moray eel attack!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom