Movin' down to Ft. L.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, not that I'm aware of. Generally, my understanding is that there is pretty much no reef near land until at least Boca, and then just patchiness until @ Deerfield.

Lake Worth is most definitely up and coming. Unfortunately, with the median house price in PBC now hitting $411K, even "cheap" places are out of my range. If you happen to stumble across something, though, let me know...............

I can't believe how much the pricing has went up in the past few years! -- I have to get out of the moving around/ rental game and buy something! It is getting hard to find in the $800-$900 market. Crazy.

Thanks a ton to all of ya'll for the input! I can't wait to come down there.

My husband and I just moved here from Michigan and went through the same thing. He is working at Nova (in Davie) and I came down for a week of apartment searching (I seriously looked at 35 apartment complexes everywhere from Pembroke Pines to Boca Raton). We started looking at buying but the housing market here is about 3 times what it was in Michigan so we just can't afford it at this time. We ended up in an apartment in Coral Springs. A nice area although a bit of a drive for him. We are currently looking for a LDS, anyone out there have suggestions?

Sirelroka:
My husband and I just moved here from Michigan and went through the same thing. He is working at Nova (in Davie) and I came down for a week of apartment searching (I seriously looked at 35 apartment complexes everywhere from Pembroke Pines to Boca Raton). We started looking at buying but the housing market here is about 3 times what it was in Michigan so we just can't afford it at this time. We ended up in an apartment in Coral Springs. A nice area although a bit of a drive for him. We are currently looking for a LDS, anyone out there have suggestions?

For fills... Fill Express 32, 36, 40% banked and they charge by the cuft...
Also 50%, 80%, 100%, 21/35 TriMix... premixed...

I got a pm recommending Force-E. They are a large chain, with locations all across the area. I just got off the phone w/ their Pompano location - they only partial presure blend nitrox.

Given this area is a fricken dive mecca - why don't more places offer Nitrox banked...? Or have I just not found them yet...? Putting together a Nitrox Stik for continuous blending and another bank is peanuts compared the hassle putting your customers through for the o2 cleaning and turn-around time to mix in the cylinder...

Or are there a ton of shops I'm missing someplace....

I'm primarially sticking w/ Fill Express... Their hours leave alot to be desired (8-6, M-Sat) It would just be nice to have a shop for times when I have a full weekend of diving to be able to get Nitrox late Saturday/Early Sunday. That or I'll just have to get more tanks, or dive my doubles/drysuit on recreational dives.

Back to the cost of housing. Hutchinson Island (which is Fort Pierce beach side) is going from ($375,000 to 600k) I glanced at one in the paper the other day for $275,000 a rareity. The houses inland seem to be in the $240,000 range. That is making WPB look better all the time....

I love living in Davie. I'm currently at Nova for dental school, and because of the school housing in this area is hard to find. There are a few good apartment complexes and a few condos/townhomes but it all comes down to how much you want to spend. My buddies house in cooper city has gone up almost 100k in the last 2 years so if you find a good deal on a property you have to jummp on it before someone else does.

Fill Express is a great place to get your Nitrox fills, but it is hard to beat $2 air fills at divers direct next to outdoor world. As far as LDS in the area I am not a big fan of Divers Cove, but I do like divers unlimited off of pines. I found another dive shop the other day off of pines, it is small but the owner is a great guy, and full of information, forget what it is called just says scuba on the building in the shopping strip.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom