Moving to Oahu in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mililani is a long haul to anywhere. Part of my local family lives there. If you're at the Marco Polo, explore along the Date Street/Kapiolani corridor - there are lots of affordable places there and it's easy to get to Ala Moana by bus or even walking.
One of my last jobs above water was some sensitive stuff for HMSA right near Ala Moana. Now I'm told there's a Wal-Mart next door now. Long ago, there were some great Korean bars in the area. Oh well...progress.
$48 a day is tough to live on there. Good luck with that. I can't live in any state with a state income tax anymore.

The Makiki area is fairly nice and you can sometimes find some pretty good deals for rent. It's just out of town so it's kind of quiet, but still close enough so that you don't have to drive far for shopping.

Tom Winters:
Now I'm told there's a Wal-Mart next door now. Long ago, there were some great Korean bars in the area. Oh well...progress.
Not much though...

Universal Diver:
Hmm....Single parent, how old is your daughter? Maybe when my wife gets here, she can watch your daughter. I have two small boys, 2 and 5.

She'll be 11 this fall, so she's in school most of the time. I'm the only one who can pick her up after school, so unless she's on vacation, that rules out any weeknight dives.

At any rate, I'm at work every morning by 6:30 a.m., so I go to bed early anyway.

Tom Winters:
Long ago, there were some great Korean bars in the area.

:D

Tom Winters:
Now I'm told there's a Wal-Mart next door now. Long ago, there were some great Korean bars in the area. Oh well...progress.
$48 a day is tough to live on there. Good luck with that. I can't live in any state with a state income tax anymore.

Hi Tom, I'm more or less joking about the $48-50. It is minimum wage until I'm ready to get on with actual sales. Basically, I sit around and talk to everyone and study about cars. I should be helping customers by next week.

The big delay is I'm waiting for my Social Security card. I just went through the process of requesting a copy of my SS card to get my drivers license but the dealership never told me they wanted a copy! My DL was easy because the SS card department sent them a fax. I could've killed two birds with one stone if I had known. Now, I'm just waiting for the darn thing to arrive in the mail!

I would rather be in the water!

Chris

chepar:
She'll be 11 this fall, so she's in school most of the time. I'm the only one who can pick her up after school, so unless she's on vacation, that rules out any weeknight dives.
:D

Maybe we can work a deal. I can get my wife to pick up your daughter for the next few years if your daughter watches my boys AFTER those few years.

Timing could work out!

At least you and I could do weekend dives!

Chris

Universal Diver:
At least you and I could do weekend dives!

Weekend dives are best for me. We do mostly shore diving during the summer, and past Labor Day pretty much only boat dives (because I don't harbor any illusions that I can do a strenuous shore dive).

Have you looked into any dive clubs? Probably the only way to do affordable boat dives - unless you know someone that owns a boat.

Well, I've been here for almost a month (closer to 3 weeks) and it hasn't been so fun. I've been able to dive only once and I spend all my other time looking for apartments or 'working'. BTW, I will get my orientation done tomorrow. Yes, after 3 weeks of 'working', I will finally get my orientation and paperwork finished. I will then be off of 'training' and able to actually help with sales.

My newhire paperwork was stalled because the young lady doing my reference checks couldn't speak Japanese so she just put it off to the side. Of course all my job references are in Japan!

I found a fantastic place the other day within my price range and super location. I filled out my application and paid the $10. I thought I had a good shot at getting this place. Well, they called my work place which referred them to the HR department. When they asked if I worked there, they politely said, "NO". I guess coming to work everyday doesn't count. I lost this condo because of that! Unbelievable.

I'm praying that my luck will change soon. Gambarimasu!

That's an update.

Chris

well that just sucks....hope your luck turns up soon!

Universal Diver:
Well, I've been here for almost a month (closer to 3 weeks) and it hasn't been so fun. I've been able to dive only once and I spend all my other time looking for apartments or 'working'. BTW, I will get my orientation done tomorrow. Yes, after 3 weeks of 'working', I will finally get my orientation and paperwork finished. I will then be off of 'training' and able to actually help with sales.

My newhire paperwork was stalled because the young lady doing my reference checks couldn't speak Japanese so she just put it off to the side. Of course all my job references are in Japan!

I found a fantastic place the other day within my price range and super location. I filled out my application and paid the $10. I thought I had a good shot at getting this place. Well, they called my work place which referred them to the HR department. When they asked if I worked there, they politely said, "NO". I guess coming to work everyday doesn't count. I lost this condo because of that! Unbelievable.

I'm praying that my luck will change soon. Gambarimasu!

That's an update.

Chris
Aint Hawaii great? Sadly, this is the norm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom