Mt. Storm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went there for spring break last year. the viz was zero, and that was the ride up the mt.(snow storm= that's were the name comes from)
If your looking for a place to stay I would suggest Blackwater state park , it's close to Mt. storm , has cabins a hotel and restaraunt , plus a indoor pool. and If you bring snow skies you can do that too.

No, we did not go.
My buddy and I asked around and we did not get any information to encourage us to go. A lot of people told us that the water is cold and that there is no visibility.

I've heard it gets up to 90 in the summer and can be really warm! It would sure beat Millbrook quarry! That would be fun to go!

Austin:
I've heard it gets up to 90 in the summer and can be really warm! It would sure beat Millbrook quarry! That would be fun to go!

My buddy goes to Mt Storm all the time!
He's done his deep Dive check out dives there, and I think they did some of the rescue course down there.
He told me that the air temp was so cold that the rain was freezing on the windshield of his car and they didn't want to get out of the water (70 degrees) because he would freeze his *!@#$# off.......lol
I guess when you consider that we were certified in 43 degree water, the temp is only relative..... :)
Anyway he loves that place. (Beside for the fact that there is almost NO civilization for MILES......lol) He swears it's a great time.....

Oh....... and BTW.... There's a plastic Santa on the 90ft platform......:wink:

Mad_diver

I live in the DC area and would be willing to make the trek, if anyone else would like to go too. PM me if interested.

Mike

FYI,

This is from a message from Virginia Scuba's Yahoo Groups.

"New owners are taking over the old shack at the lake. Setting up a
resort and putting the air station back in. They also have the
recreation rights to the dive entry site next to the boat ramp.
Heard they are opening 1st weekned of April. Camp sites, showers,
rentals and such....They will have camp sites, firepits, BATHROOMs, and
showers available. They should have the air station up and will also have dive
flag/floats for rent. Will post their website and tel numbers later."

Virginia Scuba (www.virginiascuba.com) offers Altitude Diver speciality when they have trips to Mt Storm. As of this date, they don't have a schedule yet but they will go in April & May. I will keep my eyes and ears posted and let everyone know, since I definitely want to get certified in Altitude Diver speciality.

Pedro

Was up there today. Water temp was in the low 40's at the surface, probably high 30's at 90 ft. Still an awesome time though. Anyone up for some cold water diving this weekend?!?!?! :wink:

Bubba05:
Was up there today. Water temp was in the low 40's at the surface, probably high 30's at 90 ft. Still an awesome time though. Anyone up for some cold water diving this weekend?!?!?! :wink:

Bubba05,

There will be a Chilly Willy dive at Millbrook (quarry) on Sunday, March 13th, sponsored by The Dive Shop http://www.thediveshop-va.com/ (703)698-7220 (Fairfax, VA). Call them to make sure of the details but I believe its $20 and it is open from 11-3pm. The gate closes at 1130, so you need to be there prior or else you might not dive. I was there in January in my 7mm and did two dives of 20/30 min in 45/44 degree water. I may go for this one depending what the outside weather is like.

Pedro

pairizarry:
Bubba05,

There will be a Chilly Willy dive at Millbrook (quarry) on Sunday, March 13th, sponsored by The Dive Shop http://www.thediveshop-va.com/ (703)698-7220 (Fairfax, VA). Call them to make sure of the details but I believe its $20 and it is open from 11-3pm. The gate closes at 1130, so you need to be there prior or else you might not dive. I was there in January in my 7mm and did two dives of 20/30 min in 45/44 degree water. I may go for this one depending what the outside weather is like.

Pedro

Sounds cool(no pun intended). Will you be there? I think I will have to make the trip down. Thanks for the heads up.

Bubba05:
Sounds cool(no pun intended). Will you be there? I think I will have to make the trip down. Thanks for the heads up.

Bubba,

It all depends on the weather on Sunday, March 13th. If its at least in the 40s and not raining or snowing, I should be there.

Pedro

Back
Top Bottom