"Must Dive" Sites In Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he's referring to Apo Reef in Mindoro, where there's supposed to be sharks and big stuff. i'll know for sure in a week.
:)

Matt, Please post a report when you get back. I'll be taking in Apo Reef in 5 weeks (and counting).

Any reason why?:confused:
From PG it is a quick jump to Verde Island, which is fantastic and I consider this a must dive.

Agreed! Four weeks (and counting) for my return to PG and Verde!

Pelagic is difficult to find in Philippines, they are endangered species.
With the exception of Malapascua(Thrasher shark) and Subic Bay(wreck) the following places offer EXCEPTIONAL reef divng all year round.

General Santos: Tinoto Wall
Malapascua: Monad Shoal
Puerto Galera: Canyons(not on slack tide!!!), Kelimar Drift(not for the faith hearted) and Verde Island
Southern Leyte: Napantaw fish sanctuary
Subic Bay: USS New York

Dived the Apo Reef couple of times over last four years. Too much destruction and same applied to Hunter's Rock.

Panagatan can have some big stuff, i have seen great hammerheads, mobula and manta rays, white tips and grey reefs there. but its an all or nothing site. they have occasional whalesharks too in march/april too.

Subic Bay for the wrecks. Each very different in 'flavor'.

1) USS New York (WWI vintage Armored Cruiser, sunk in WWII). Still has guns and props.

2) LST ( WWII Landing Ship Tank). Post-WWII wreck

3) El Capitan. WWI US 'Liberty Ship.

4) San Quentin (Spanish-American War Galleon)

5) Japanese Patrol Boat. WWII wreck.

6) LCU (Landing Craft Utility).

7) F4 Phantom (tech dive).

8) Oryoku Maru (Japanese Transport Ship) Infamous for being bombed/sunk whilst full of POWs. WWII.

9) YS-11 Passenger Plane.

10) Seian Maru. (Japanese Transport Ship). WWII.

11) Nikko Maru. (Japanese Transport Ship). WWII. Tech dive.

Panagatan can have some big stuff, i have seen great hammerheads, mobula and manta rays, white tips and grey reefs there. but its an all or nothing site. they have occasional whalesharks too in march/april too.

It's like Yapak 2. You need to hit it on the right tide.

Just came back from Apo reef. It is true that the coral is mostly destroyed, except for some soft coral in the shallows.

BUT - the amount of fish life, big and small, is astounding. Sharks (in all dives), eagle rays, turtles, barracuda, Napoleon wrasse, bumphead parrotfish, tuna, small reef fish (in the thousands), etc. For me it is well worth the effort of getting there.

I'll try to post a detailed report asap.

Malapascua has more to offer than just thresher sharks too..... The macro is sweet too - flamboyant cuttlefish, pygmy seahorses, frogfish, bobtail squid and tonnes of nudibranchs.....

Recently went to Apo Reef on a liveaboard last September 2010. Occasional sightings of white tip (at least every other dive), chanced upon a resting nurse shark (once only), Napoleon Wrasses and turtles (on almost every dive). But generally, coral rubbles almost everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom