My Cozumel experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive Coz every chance I get and will continue to do so, regardless of the changes. You have to admit, some of those fish look like they're on steroids!

catfish:
To say the southern reefs were unaffected is just plain false. You can look at the world through rose colored glasses, or you can call a spade a spade. As I said, we enjoyed our vacation, but to say the diving was even comparable to our previous visit would be a complete farce. Many here will continue to visit Cozumel no matter what. That's fine. I'm just trying to put out the message to the non-diehards that (in my opinion) everything is not as it is being portrayed by many of the posters here. We went on this trip expecting to see damage, but after reading all the posts about how great Cozumel still was, we were totally unprepared for the extent of the damage. This was the only dive trip I've been on where I considered not diving after the first couple of days.

" This is the only dive trip I've been on where I considered not diving after the first couple of days." Very telling statement. I dont believe you. Where did you dive? Describe the damage on specific reefs please. What was the name of your hotel? How long did you stay?

The fact that you dont offer any specifics is very revealing. I think you're full of it. I'm gonna be there in three weeks. I've logged 150 dives in Cozumel and know the reefs pretty well. I, like sveral others here, intend to post an HONEST report.

catfish:
Some people have a business to promote, some do not.

I have to politely disagree on this one.

I've never met Christi but I've read a lot of her threads going back to Wilma. I've never noticed anything that would lead me to believe she's posting out here for a selfish reason. If anything comes across in her posts, its that she loves the island, the people and what she does for a living. She spent a lot of effort promoting Cozumel in general after the hurricane because everyone was out of work.

If Christi gets business by telling us about her dive experiences, well, that's just smart marketing. Frankly, I don't understand why more people don't take advantage of it.

ggunn:
<throws yellow flag and blows whistle> Cheap shot call....

Yellow Flag? How bout a red card and immediate ejection from the game for a blatant foul.

Mawg:
Yellow Flag? How bout a red card and immediate ejection from the game for a blatant foul.

That's another kind of football. ;^)

Just a rookie poster--often lurker here--who was in Cozumel the first week of April and is going back the last week of October with the usual eager anticipation.

We saw some damage on the shallower reefs but greatly enjoyed the deeper walls. It is still an incredibly unique, beautiful place that is hard to beat. We particularly enjoyed all of the sites with "Palancar" in the name.

We spent the first week of May in Bonaire--our first trip there--and, for my money, I prefer Cozumel.

Obviously, opinions are just that...personal observations or preferences and unless they are distorted or fabricated, there is no right or wrong.

Pleasant diving to all...

Cozumel is an incredible diving bargain with viz to die for. I was in the Keys this week diving in 20 feet of viz and spent more money on that trip that I do diving Cozumel with the fabulous viz and great 6-pack dive operators. I've been twice post-Wilma and can't wait to go back.

I dive in a variety of locations. Mostly cold fresh water, but also the Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, Florida and the Keys, etc.
The best bang for the buck is Cozumel.
For me, a 3 1/2 hour flight from Denver, and I am diving that same afternoon.

While there are many GREAT locations in the world to dive, Cozumel even damaged, still ranks among the best.

I stand by the FACT that southern reefs, like Maricaibo, are untouched by Wilma.

The more northern reefs had damage that made me a little sad, a little awed, and a little less interested in diving them, compared to the healthy reefs, but never did it even cross my mind, to NOT dive anymore while in Coz.

Divedoggie:
I stand by the FACT that southern reefs, like Maricaibo, are untouched by Wilma.

I would say that "untouched" may be a little strong, even through my "rose colored glasses", but they did look pretty good. I talked with Jorge at Blue Angel about it and he said that if you dive the reefs every day like they do, you can see the evidence of Wilma's passing on every reef.

That said, it's still far and away the best diving I can easily get to, and I will go back there any and every chance I get. Viva Cozumel!

catfish:
As for the dive sites we visited, I don't have a list of the names in front of me, but we primarily went to the far southern sites. Punta Sur and Columbia are two of the Southern sites I can remember the names of off the top of my head.

Dude......were we on the same island? I was there in May, and while Yucab was a real disppointment, Columbia and Palancar were awesome! My wife and I agreed that the dive we did on Columbia Deep may have been the best dive in recent memory. We enjoyed Tormentos and Chankanaab as well due to the sea life. I have never been anywhere when I saw turtles and spotted eagle rays on every dive. It was way cool. Probably just good timing, but....okay, I'll take it!

The island was devastated. Reminded me of Charleston after hurricane Hugo in '89. Trees stripped and total devastation. It is amplified in Coz due to less infrastructure and weaker economy, but the diving was great. You must have unbelievable expectations if you were ready to quit diving:11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom