Question My debate - go with a BP/W or stick with a back-inflate BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not yet. I have been sized for a OMS BPW. Stay tuned.
What to you mean sized? A Hog harness is adjustable.

@jellycatsdad have you made a decision, can you update? I'm facing the same choice. I currently dive the original Zeagle Covert and it has been great for me, but thinking may need something more going forward. Thanks.
What is the Covert not doing for you?

One thing I enjoy about a jacket style are the pockets. I feel like I have a good amount of easy to access storage right at my side.

How do people handle storage with a backplate & wing? Pockets only?

Anyone interested in the question posed in the thread title should take a look at this parallel thread: Loving my DGX BP/W!

Wet shorts, cutting devices can be placed on the webbing, SMB under a backplate pad, add pockets to the webbing. Add pockets to a wetsuit or drysuit. Clip items to d-rings.

One thing I enjoy about a jacket style are the pockets. I feel like I have a good amount of easy to access storage right at my side.

Customize it however you want. If you want a pocket, buy one and attach it where you want.

For single tank recreational diving, I don't use any pockets. Lights have bolt snaps and are clipped to chest D-rings. Camera is clipped to waist D-ring or crotch strap D-ring, or GoPro clipped to chest D-ring. Reel or spool with SMB is clipped to a waist D-ring. Cutting devices are in sheaths on my waist belt.

What else do I need?

If I really want pockets on that kind of dive, I wear pocket shorts. I have the Highland ones and the ScubaPro ones and the SP ones are what I use. The Highland ones looked good on paper, but they kind of suck in real life. If it's really warm water, I will just use the SP pockets shorts as my swim trunks. I.e. dive with only a rash guard, those pocket shorts, and booties. Otherwise, I will wear the SP shorts over a thin wetsuit.

For technical diving, I have a wetsuit with pockets (Waterproof W7) and my drysuits have pockets.

...One thing I like is having 2 tank bands. Ive seen so many instances of tanks slipping, that I want security there.

This is a really good point and not frequently mentioned. Two tank bands is a must for me...

I agree. One cam band and a carrying strap not over the valve can be trouble...
A few over 2,250 dives since 2002 with a Scubapro stainless steel Super Cinch tank band. I've never had a loose cylinder :)

A few over 2,250 dives since 2002 with a Scubapro stainless steel Super Cinch tank band. I've never had a loose cylinder :)

That may be so, but I just don't "like" one tank band. I want the bottom of the tank held as firmly in place as the top. Now I've been in a BP/W since dive #7 so I haven't had to worry about it. :) YMMV. If I were forced to use one, I would want it to be one of those ScubaPro style cinch bands.

I use ScubaPro-STYLE QR tank bands on my single tank rig. I do use 2 of them. Never had one open by accident or get loose.

I like them way better than standard cam bands. With a hang strap on my BP, it is so quick and easy to change tanks!

That may be so, but I just don't "like" one tank band. I want the bottom of the tank held as firmly in place as the top. Now I've been in a BP/W since dive #7 so I haven't had to worry about it. :) YMMV. If I were forced to use one, I would want it to be one of those ScubaPro style cinch bands.

Ditto. But, @scubadada now has me thinking about maybe taking one of mine off my BP, just to make it that little bit lighter and easier to pack.... I might just have to at least try it....

Back
Top Bottom