My DIR assimilation has begun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You won't have to go to Florida to take a DIRF class. There were more DIRF classes in the midwest last year than you could shake a stick at. It seems like every couple of weeks there's one at Haigh, Blue Springs, Gilboa or some place.

SparkySFD once bubbled...
My assibiliation has begun

Ah yes. How I remember it well

SparkySFD once bubbled...

I got the harness pretty well fitted....... I think. I dont know if its me or what. But I have the backplate about the same place Ive seen in the pictures in the manual. But I have a hard time reaching the top of the plate. Probably a large part of it is my needing to strech those muscles in the first place. But if I tighten those straps anymore to raise the plate on my back, it gets really uncomfortable. Any insights on this?

You must, as a right of passage, consult the No Cal Beatnick. Someone beat me to it... (I've lost a step these days...) But this is a great place to go for pics and info.

I'm so fired up for you, Sparky. I took this same journey at the beginning of this year, and chronicled my public humiliation for all to see. Not that I recommend that :bonk: but it would be really cool to read about your thoughts as you're going down the road.

Keep the questions coming - the people here took very good care of me, and I'm sure we'll all take care of you.

Enjoy the ride!

K

No problem

This will make you really laugh. It just makes me want to cry.

When I discovered this board I was in the market for a lot of gear. Had the wifey's permission to spend a fair amount of cash. Went out and bought about $2400 worth of very NOT DIR stuff. A Balance BC w/air source, Suunto Vytec computer and a retractor. The only purchase I dont regret is my regulator. Of course I will still have to purchase a backup reg.

The computer I can still use for a high dollar bottom timer and depth gauge. The BC and air source Im going to suck air on. Ive thought about eBaying them.

I have toyed with the idea of getting my DiveCon and Instructor certifications (SSI). I just know my LDS is going to require me to use the gear they sell to teach students in. So if I sell them now I will just have to buy them again in a year or so. I did get a fairly good deal on them so I may just keep them in reserve.

d33ps1x

I PM'd you this but thought I should tell everybody.

I did get to take the Eclipse apart the other night. It is VERY easy. One zipper on the inside of the wing. Opens up the whole thing. Undo the pull dump and shoulder dump and out comes the bladder. I'd guess I could do it in under 4 minutes now while watching TV.

Dont know what a spare bladder would cost :eek:.

My assimilation happened without me even knowing about it. The last thing I remember, my lack of skills were "the stupid gear's" fault, and next thing I knew it was six months later and I was practicing my newly acquired DIR skills... And actually getting fairly descent at them. :)

For me, here was the twelve step plan, paraphrased by my thoughts at the time:

1. "Damn, I'm good." (Alternatively: "Maybe I'm not all that, but I'm the best in my group." Same thing.)

2. "Holy smokes. He just hangs there."

3. "Stupid gear. Stupid fishie. Stupid current."

4. "Aaaaaah! Everyone hates me. I hate everyone."

5. "Hey, this couldn't be MY problem, could it?"

6. "Everyone around me knows. I can't believe how embarrassing this is." (Tough one.)

7. "Damn, I really suck. It's amazing that I haven't killed myself yet doing this. I think I need to move very far away from water. The Sahara sounds safe."

8. "I give up." (Very important step.)

9. "Maybe I should listen to the dude that hovers."

10. "_________" (This is the listening stage - very important.)

11. "Aw, hell... I might as well try it his way... I mean, I KNOW it won't work, but I might as well give it a shot before I move to the Sahara."

12. "Hey, I might be able to do this."

13. "I can do this!"

14. "Hey, I really do rock, after all."

15. "You all suck. I won't tell you that to your faces, but secretly, I'll pity everyone who's not DIR. I may even patronize you every once in a while." (This the part that all non-DIR types hate so much.)

16. "I want to dive deeper and longer than everyone else. Why not? I'm secretly better than everyone else anyway."

17. "Holy crap. I can't believe I made that mistake. I nearly killed myself. Maybe I'm not all that great after all."

18. "I need to stop pushing it... And I need to come off of that high horse for good."

19. "Who cares? Let's dive." (It's usually at this point when people begin to ask you questions, soliciting your advice. You know you're at this step when you just don't answer them any more, but simply point them in the direction to go find their own answers.)

Okay, crap... So it's a 19 step program instead of a 12-step. :) Can anyone relate?

Oh yeah... Welcome to step two. It's not easy, but we're here for ya. :D

SeaJay once bubbled...

9. "Maybe I should listen to the dude that hovers."

15. "You all suck. I won't tell you that to your faces, but secretly, I'll pity everyone who's not DIR. I may even patronize you every once in a while." (This the part that all non-DIR types hate so much.)

LOL! :D

Too close to my real life path. Right down to the SSI Dive Con issues and the Vytec.

Get your own darn issues....

:D

Listen to the guy that hovers. There is true wisdom in that.

PS:
Found it

Back
Top Bottom