My DIR assimilation has begun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkySFD once bubbled...

SeaJay

Your doffing recommendation sounds good, will try it.

Yeah, man... Let us know how that goes.

In regards to the "flipping". I dont have a weighted STA. Its just the regular one. Was diving with an alum. 80, didnt breathe it below 2000psi.

Hm. That's interesting. I found the same problem when I used a heavy tank or weighted STA... Too much weight on the back.

Actually, it's not entirely correct to simply say, "too much weight"... The problem is that your center of buoyancy is much further forward than your center of gravity. For me, this occurred when I used steel tanks or a weighted STA... It simply put too much weight on my back. Perhaps that's not the problem in your case.

For grins, is it possible that your tank is the "neutral" kind? Are you wearing a trim weight on the tank straps?

...Anyway, it could simply be that your 7 mil wetsuit is throwing your trim off. The example I give above is in a 3 mil.

The object to correct trim is to get your center of gravity and your center of buoyancy in the same place. This gets a little tricker that it sounds when you realize that your center of buoyancy moves a little, depending on how much gas you have in your wing... And how much gas you have in your tank. The design of a wing being wrapped around the tank rather than your body (like a jacket BC does) is supposed to help cure this: You're placing the two variables in close proximity to each other, so as to reduce the movement of your center of buoyancy point.

In case the idea of CofG and CofB is new to you, I recommend that article I wrote again: http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org/homebc.html . It speaks very briefly on the matter and may help you to picture what's happening in your case. Effectively, what's happened to you is that your CofG is sitting further forward on your body (as in, "in your chest area" than your center of buoyancy (as in, "along your spine.")

The bottom line is that you can move your CofG around rather easily by placing weights in different places... For example, it sounds like a good idea would be to try putting your weights further forward on your belt.

If that doesn't work, you might want to consider an aluminum backplate, which will reduce the amount of weight you have along your spine.

If you've caught all of this stuff thus far, now consider how your buoyancy changes in your wetsuit as you go deeper... And then consider how it not only changes in force, but changes location as well.

Managing all of this is the tough part of achieving proper trim. :)

Before you go through any of these steps, though... You've got to ensure that you're properly weighted in the first place. There's several ways of doing this, but the most common is probably the "empty tank, full lungs, no air in the BC, float at eye level" method. Another thing you'll want to ensure is that you're diving the right tanks... What model number and brand AL80 are you using? They are not all the same.

Once you know your weighting is correct (perhaps you do already), then try moving your ditchable weight around and see what sort of results you get.

Two more notes, BTW... 1. This "back heavy" problem you're experiencing should deminish as your tank goes to empty. 2. Your "front light" problem should deminish as your 7 mil gets broken in, and the neoprene begins to achieve a permanent "crush" from depth.

Had no trim weights on the tank. My wetsuit is really new. For reasons of economy I use my departments tanks. Hey I dont have to pay for them. It also benefits them as the more I use them the more experienced and better an employee I become. So I have to find a way to make those tanks work.

I am anxious to see what difference there is at deeper depths.

My next course of action is to move weight around on the belt. I wondered this morning what difference an aluminum plate would make. I dont think that is it though. I was diving with a Seaquest balance BC w/ two 5lb. trim weights. So I dont think the plate is the problem.

One other thing SeaJay got me thinking about in the last post. Yesterday I thought that maybe when on my back I seemed to sink. I was swimming along very stable and neutrally buoyant. I flipped onto my back and each time seemed to sink.

I tried to do it quickly and slowly and gently. Same result each time. I wonder if the wing has different characteristics of buoyancy when flat as opposed to "tacoed" on the tank. This didnt make sense to me as the same amount of air is displacing water.

For reasons of economy I use my departments tanks. Hey I dont have to pay for them. It also benefits them as the more I use them the more experienced and better an employee I become. So I have to find a way to make those tanks work.

Well, I'm not saying that they're the culprit... But it's possible. If they are the problem, then you're forced to choose between diving free tanks (dive shops often rent them, complete with a fill, for about $10) or diving properly trimmed.

There is no substitute for doing things the right way.

I am anxious to see what difference there is at deeper depths.

Let us know how it goes.

My next course of action is to move weight around on the belt. I wondered this morning what difference an aluminum plate would make. I dont think that is it though. I was diving with a Seaquest balance BC w/ two 5lb. trim weights. So I dont think the plate is the problem.

Sorry... I'm not sure I understand... Are you comparing two different dives? One, where you wore a stainless steel bp/wing and the other, where you wore a Balance?

If that's the case, then it sounds very much like the change in location of the weight - from your hips to your back - may be the culprit.

How much weight were you diving with when you dove with the backplate?

One other thing SeaJay got me thinking about in the last post. Yesterday I thought that maybe when on my back I seemed to sink. I was swimming along very stable and neutrally buoyant. I flipped onto my back and each time seemed to sink.

...But you weren't sinking when you were right-side-up? If that's the case, then I suggest that you were finning or sculling to keep in proper position in the first place... Meaning that you weren't properly buoyanced... And possibly overweighted.

I tried to do it quickly and slowly and gently. Same result each time. I wonder if the wing has different characteristics of buoyancy when flat as opposed to "tacoed" on the tank. This didnt make sense to me as the same amount of air is displacing water.

This doesn't sound like the problem to me.

I wonder if the wing has different characteristics of buoyancy when flat as opposed to "tacoed" on the tank. This didnt make sense to me as the same amount of air is displacing water.

You're center of gravity has moved when you're on your back in that manner.

You can be completely neutral at any given depth, roll over and with the bp down below your body at the same depth find yourself negative. It's not necessarily overweighting.

I tuck the excess of my 7' hose under the sheath for my knife on the waist strap and it works great. It has never come loose, exceptt for when I lost my knife on lobster opening night. I use a mini mag light pouch for my knife sheath so the cheap little phone line knife I was using wasnt much of a loss. Now I have a hard sheath riveted to the mag light pouch. Works great.

Foaming at the mouth to take a DIR-F class. Big bummer for me is I have to travel to Florida to take one. No instructors even remotely close (Missouri). Will have to wait till I can afford a dive trip. Till then will purchase the books and study them. Will just have to try to figure those fin kicks by trial and error. I think I will lay down on the floor and video tape myself and try to critique myself.

I'm taking my DIR-F this January. I'm looking forward to it!:)

SeaJay

Yes I was talking about two different dives.

Yesterday with the BP/wing I had a 6# plate, a weight belt with four 4lb. weights. Total of 22lbs.

When I would wear the Balance I would have two 5lb. trim weights. Then would wear the other weight in the releaseable pockets. These pockets are more toward the front of the body.

The weight belt I wore with the backplate had the weight more toward the back and back of the hips. Esentially all my weight was on my back. Will have to experiment with weight placement.

As to was I finning or sculling before my roll. Nope. Was just hanging out everything just right. Did try it while moving and same result. But when I was moving I really believe my buoyancy was right on.

robertphillips5

The knife idea sounds good. Now I have mine on the left side. Do you have yours mounted on your right side?

I wear it just to the left of the crotch strap.

Sparky:

In going from a Balance to a bp/wing, you should be removing at least 6 lbs... Because that weight is now in the plate. (And positioned differently.)

In fact, you're likely to actually remove more than just six pounds... The Balance actually has some inherent buoyancy in it which the bp/wing does not have. Additionally, the SS hardware and single tank adapter (STA), if you use one, has weight to it as well. It's not uncommon to hear people on this board remove 8 to 10 pounds when they switch to a bp/wing.

Have you tried checking your weighting? There's a variety of ways to do it, but perhaps the best known way is the way that PADI outlines in their OW manual.

Before you can address where to place your weights, you need to address how much weight you need... And frankly, from what you're describing, it sounds like you may be overweighted.

Of course, I reserve the right to be completely wrong about this... :) You may already be correctly weighted, and you may have already addressed these things. But it sounds to me like you might be carrying too much weight.

In a 7 mil suit, it's common for people using a Luxfer S080 AL80 tank to wear about 5 pounds on each side of a weight belt when they use a "standard" backplate and light "standard" STA. Your requirements may vary, but 16 additional lbs certainly seems like a lot of weight.

Wingtip once bubbled...

I was hoping that someone else would chime in on this one - I've already taken more than my fair share of this thread. But since nobody has...

Sorry, Wingtip, but that's simply not correct.

Unless you've dropped weight (or picked up weight) during your dive, your center of gravity does not change, no matter what position you are in. The only way that this could happen is if you moved your weight around... And if that's happening, then you need to secure your weight better on your body.

It is possible, however, for your center of buoyancy to move. A jacket style BC is a good example of this. In fact, Scubapro actually brags about it when it comes to selling their Classic Plus BC. They claim that the "wraparound bladder" allows the bubble in a partially inflated BC to always travel to the top of the BC... Which is true. This, they claim, allows the bubble to never interfere with the position of the diver.

This isn't entirely correct... It's really a sales pitch, tinged with half-truth.

Those who have experienced an incorrectly configured bp/wing know that if the wing is too large for the tank, it can "taco" over the tank. The situation is made worse if the diver is overweighted, because in order to be neutral, a larger air bubble must be in the wing for the diver to be neutral. When the diver "tilts" to one side or the other, the bubble rushes to the high side of the wing, which effectively moves the center of buoyancy away from the diver's center of gravity... Which can force the diver over to one side. In the article I cited above, I called this action an "opinionated BC."

A simple solution is to do what Scubapro did... They wrapped the bladder around the diver, effectively preventing the bubble from ever getting that far from the diver's center of gravity. In effect, it works, and this is their sales pitch.

The problem is that it's not the diver that changes buoyancy throughout the dive... Sure, the exposure suit changes with depth, but by comparison to the tanks, not much. It's the tanks that change buoyancy as they empty over the term of the dive.

Since it's the tank that's changing, the device used to compensate for that - the air cell - needs to be as close to the tank as possible. The design that does that best is the "wing" part of a BC.

Additionally, a wing design helps to maintain a solid position of the center of buoyancy... With a wraparound air cell (which wraps around the body of the diver), every position change by the diver results in a shift in positioning of the air bubble inside the partially inflated BC, which creates a center of buoyancy that moves considerably. Now, the diver must manage not only his buoyancy and trim, but must do so while the center of buoyancy moves all around.

If the diver started with poor trim in the first place, this might not be such a bad thing. But I suggest that a better solution would be for the diver to perfect his/her buoyancy and trim, and have it "locked" in place by equipment that does not allow for the shift of either the center of gravity or the center of buoyancy.

These subtle differences in gear design and configuration is what helps highly skilled divers to "hover" like a genie... Sure, it's to do with skill, but if you're a new scuba diver without that skill, it can appear impossible to accomplish. That's because there's subtle differences in gear design and configuration which help the diver to make the most of their skill... Which is developed after many dives in gear that does not allow for a shifting center of buoyancy.

You can be completely neutral at any given depth, roll over and with the bp down below your body at the same depth find yourself negative.

This is not correct, either, Wingtip. Sorry. While a diver's body position in the water column can shift the center of buoyancy if his gear allows for it, it cannot change the forces of gravity or buoyancy. If he/she was neutral to begin with, then he/she should be neutral in any position.

I suggest that one of two things is happening, if you find that you do not have the same buoyancy in all positions...

1. You are negative to begin with, and using your hands and fins to maintain depth. Once you flip over, you can't do this any more, because your hands and feet are pointed in a different direction... And so you sink.

2. On flipping over, you exhale, reducing how much gas you have in your lungs (reducing the amount of water displaced by your body) and you sink.

The solution to both of these problems is to work on your buoyancy skills. The common suggestion is to fold your hands and cross your ankles and use your lungs to change your depth up and down about a foot, while in a horizontal position. If you can't do this, then you need to use a combination of proper weighting, properly placed weights, gear that maintains a center of buoyancy no matter how big the "air bubble" is inside of the cell, and of course, practice. The emphasis should be placed on the last solution: Practice.

It's not necessarily overweighting.

THAT is correct. :) Overweighting, in and of itself, isn't usually the cause of trim problems. But it will make a small problem worse, and it requires more skill to manage it. To keep things as simple as possible, start with correct weighting, and then address the trim.

Wingtip once bubbled...

The center of gravity doesn't move during a dive, however your orientation will effect the way it acts on you.

You can be completely neutral at any given depth, roll over and with the bp down below your body at the same depth find yourself negative.

Not true, you have buoyant forces (positive) and weight (negative), your orientation does not change them, just how they effect you.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom