My Fundies Experience: A Class Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was great to meet you, however briefly, and I'm sorry you guys didn't come out on the boat on Friday (when conditions were apparently MUCH less challenging).

The thing about Fundies, as I tell everybody, is that you won't know what the class meant to you until you look back in about six months, and realize you're quite a different diver. The things that are so hard in class become easier with time and practice, and as they are easier, the usefulness of the skills becomes so much more clear.

Have fun with it. Fun is what it's all about.

Likewise, I was pleased to finally meet you as well and I too am sorry things didn't work out that we could at least dive from the same boat. I would very much like to dive with you and Peter some day, perhaps up in your home territory (or maybe we can tempt you down to North Carolina at some point.) Thanks for your thoughtful perspectives as always.

I tend to be more critical of myself than anyone, and so I was pleased to be offered a provisional, which for those unfamiliar means I have six months to attempt another checkout dive for a pass. I have more work to do (it really never ends), but I feel proud of what I’ve accomplished and sticking it out under challenging circumstances. I hope this report has been of interest or is helpful to some, and again, sorry it’s so long.

Words cannot even begin to describe how much I sympathize with you here, and how happy I am to hear about the way you're approaching things. :)

I came out of my Fundies class with a provisional as well, and got my pass at the end of January. I think the existence of a provisional pass really helps to cement the value that these courses really provide. It's not about getting a card - it's about being exposed to a higher level of demonstrated skill, and learning HOW to get to that level of skill over time by being taught the correct way to practice.

What a wonderful write up, Lilla! So glad you got a lot out of the class. I think most of us remember how challenging this course can be. Well done!

Great write-up Lilla. And it was great to see you again.

The class has a way of "nudging" the students past - way past - the comfort zone. As Lynne mentioned, the class material "seeps in" over time. Give it time and do you best to keep the "practice sessions" fun so you don't burn out. You'll get there - I have no doubt.

Henrik

Last edited:
I loved reading this review and so did my wife. We are about to do the Primer class and it's really encouraging to get a view of the Fundamentals class for which we are being prepared. Good luck.

Lilla, I'd love to dive North Carolina! I've been thinking about it ever since watching some of Jason B's videos. I just have to get brave enough to take the chance of flying all the way there and getting blown out :)

Excellent write-up, Lilla! And you got all this done on the long weekend drive home! :clapping:

Excellent write-up, Lilla! And you got all this done on the long weekend drive home! :clapping:

LOL, thanks, I had a lot of time to think about it. Glad you made it home ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom