My new cavern helmet..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at the relative positioning... where the regulator extends beyond the mouth - I don't see how you'd need to be in poor trim to cause a problem with bubbles rising up to the GoPro.

Just check the positioning...and assume horizontal trim / head / helmet....

e122d2.jpg

I don't dispute the listed drawbacks though - it is easier to bash if extended. I've never found it an impediment to long-hose gas sharing however... no more so that the helmet itself. I dive very regularly on technical wreck penetrations (not cave or cavern), and that's typically much more confined environments than the average cave diver experiences. I mount my GoPro for a lot of those dives.

I see what you are saying and I am not discounting your experience. I'd say however that for bubbles to show in your vids, they would have to travel in front of your mask, as those coming off the exhausts would go up the sides of your head. I only see my bubbles in the previous mentioned conditions, but that is my experience, cannot speak for others. Most helmet mounted scuba vids only show bubbles on rare occasions (maybe edited?).
Do you routinely see your bubbles while diving? I guess that would be quite annoying if it happened throughout the dive.

I saw them routinely enough that I added extensions to move the GoPro forwards. My trim is exemplary - it happens in horizontal trim. My helmet also extends a smidge further forward than the OPs. It could be down to 2nd stage exhaust ports though - I use SP S600. Im also pretty fussy...I didnt want any bubbles. :wink:

I will check it out in the gin waters of Ginnie Springs and I will bring some additional arms with me for "adjustments". Thanks Andy..

Oh yhea, I use a Hog Classic reg..

tony, not my helmet, just a stock photo. I have a rock climbing helmet that is quite comfortable. The lights are mounted far enough back that it counters, but I'm using Cave Adventurers Explorer video lights on it. No issues with the camera too far down, but my mount is a bit farther back on the helmet. I'm travelling now, but will get some pictures of my helmet and mount when I get back

Remember, above water weight is not the same as in water. I think my GoPro is a bit of a floater in the water. I don't notice it at all in the water, nor my lights. Of course, that's a climbing helmet and the suspension tightens easily to my head after I put it on. I like a firm fit.

tony, not my helmet, just a stock photo. I have a rock climbing helmet that is quite comfortable. The lights are mounted far enough back that it counters, but I'm using Cave Adventurers Explorer video lights on it. No issues with the camera too far down, but my mount is a bit farther back on the helmet. I'm travelling now, but will get some pictures of my helmet and mount when I get back
I look forward to seeing you dive helmet.

Got the new mount arms and am able to move the camera further up on the helmet thanks to the second joint. In as much I can move it out further from the helmet like it is shown below or I can move it very close to the helmet like the photo that @tbone1004 posted above with the gray helmet.

331nmzb.jpg

I was also able to put it all together and lay on the floor in proper "trim" and I think it will end up working very well.

This is my Trango CPU helmet. No permanent modifications to it actually. The gopro mount is a bit higher up on the face to keep the bottom of the gopro flush with the lip of the helmet. Gopro is inverted obviously. I haven't tried aligning it with the bacpac and the short extension yet, but might have to go back to the longer one. I did not notice any forward leaning tendencies of the helmet. The lights are on bungee loops and the boltsnaps are clipped to each other normally. This one is dangling because the other light isn't on the other side. Works very well, I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• 12787327_10156606349550134_1881749229_o.jpg
    12787327_10156606349550134_1881749229_o.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 78
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom