My New Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im, going to double up some 63 als I do like the light als for moving around to fill and put in boat, etc, but can't give up my 5 sets of 104s for alot of air.

I have a set of these. Kind of a novelty. I had the tanks given to me and knew that I would never use them for deco tanks and said what the heck. Pretty sure I had the only set in Guam. Everyone had questions when I took them on the cattle boats. Jam them up and you have approx 115 ft3 of your choice of breathing gas.

I am not suggesting that you jam anything anywhere.

I'm likely going to be filling them around 3000PSI which should give me a tick over 100cf. Decent amount for a nice rec dive. I'm looking forward to using these on my ice dive in another week.

I'd recommend against doubling HP 80's. Those short, fairly negative tanks are almost a guaranteed head stand when doubled. I have not yet seen a happy outcome for doubles built from these tanks.

Tobin

I dive a doubled set of HP 80's and they work great for me... I built them as a rec/tec rig. Mostly I'm doing rec dives with friends and it's nice to have the extra gas and redundancy and when I do some deep or wreck dives they are great for that too..

I have not experienced any issues with trim at all. I am only about 5'9" which may help though.... Also, I dive in full colwater gear with drysuit, ankle weights, etc so that may help with trim also as there is air in my suit to assist with trim...

Just a thought...

With longer tanks you could probably leave the ankle weights at home.

Tobin

That wouldn't work for me... I have dove many different tanks but the fact is that I usually have quite a bit of air in my drysuit (for insulation purposes) and without ankle weights I get "Floaty feet syndrome" :wink:

I'll keep that in mind. thanks

Would you go LP, AL? I was thinking of all the buoyancy that AL 80's have when they are empty.
do all tanks made of the same material have the same characteristics if not made by the same manufacturer just because of their design?

happy belated birthday btw

I found the cylinder specifications chart on the techdivlinglimited.com web site (currently down) an excellent resource when selecting my tanks.

I ended up with double Worthington X8 steel HP 119's and two AL 80's as stages. I will be getting a 40 for an O2 bottle.

I love multiple skinny tanks. I have double 40s, triple 40s, double 35s, triple 35s and quad 20s. With the smaller diameter, the mass is closer to my body for easier swimming and penatration. They feel much less restritive than larger tanks.

My favorite configuration is two tanks manifolded with two regulators and the third tank independant (my "1/3" for emergencies).

BTW, I have double HP80's too. I am a little over 6' 1" and have no problem triming them out. I just mount them low which is simple for short tanks and I don't hit my head on the manifold.

Hi Ron, I'd love to see some pictures of the triples and quads, any chance you can post a couple?

I have double lp72's and an old pair of double 50's. Both work great, but the 72's give me better trim.
The one thing I have against doubling up the smaller tanks is that where I dive they charge per tank to fill no matter the amount of air. Two 50's cost twice as much as a single hp100 with less air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom