My new Zeagle Brigade power inflator leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine did the same thing when I got my Stiletto about a year ago. At the time I was told to just tighten it a little. Do I have a bigger problem brewing?

One of the really cool things about the BX inflator is that you can carry an extra one in your save-a-dive kit. Last year on Bonaire the o-ring on my inflator blew out (it was bulging, very obvious) and although I did 2 additional dives with my inflator disconnected (I didn't want to go back to the condo), at lunch I quickly replaced the inflator from the one I keep in my save-a-dive kit and continued diving for the next week. Back home, the o-ring was easily fixed and the inflator was put in my save-a-dive kit as my spare.

My brand new Express Tech inflater had the same leak from the same spot. I had my LDS send it back in for repair and to fix some stitching issues on the bladder. Just got it back so I hope it is fixed. Not happy that the LDS charged me $20 shipping fee so I could get a new product fixed. I would have hoped Zeagle would have picked up the shipping tab since it was new. Oh well, guess it is the cost of supporting your local shop.

I had the same air leak on my new stiletto. Dove for week long trip with it. No real problem. It looked to me like the volume of air was similar to that "lost" from the 'positive pressure" bubble stream on Sherwood regs.

I tried the suggested I used an allen wrench to loosen the fitting. there was a tiny spec of dust(?) on the oring. I removed it, and reinstalled the fitting [I had marked the distance to loosen it, and tightened it the same amount]. It seemed to work-in a bathtub deep kiddie pool.
Unfortunately, I won't be in any significantly deeper water for a while.
Glad to know that it wasn't just my BC.

Here is an update on the "streaming bubble" issue...

We are having a new insert molded with tougher tolerances, and that should alleviate this issue entirely.

That being said, to show you guys how little of an "issue" this really is, we went through all the stock and found the inflator that bubbled the most. We put that inflator on a BC and hooked it up to a regulator and put it in a tank of water.

When the test started, there was 2900psi in the scuba tank. As of now, 27 hours later, there is 2800psi in the tank.

This tells me that an inflator that is bubbling up badly is actually using almost no air during your dive - but I totally agree that it looks bad and is unacceptable.

We should have a complete remedy to the problem by the end of this month, but until then please understand that this is not a safety issue at all and is really purley cosmetic.

Thanks to all of you for your input. You have really helped us recognize and take take of the issue!

Scott

Last edited:
Just ordered my new Brigade today.

This thread offers a nice little piece of info just in case mine happens to leak also. Although, as Scott stated, it seems merely cosmetic.

Can't wait for my new BC!

Update:

It seems that this entire issue was caused by flash (excess plastic) on the parting line of the inflator module behind the o-ring.

If you simply remove the module with a 1/4" allen wrench, carefully remove the o-ring, scrape off the excess plastic with an exacto knife, and re-install the o-ring it totally fixes the problem.

You can have your dive shop do it, or do it yourself.

I will start a new thread with pictures...found here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/zeagle/348823-how-fix-your-bubbling-inflator.html

Scott

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom