my tank hits my head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb's right! ....I'm used to setting up my own gear, and when I do I make sure to mount the BC and tank together such that I can reach the tank valve while diving. However, last month I was in Cozumel where the crew set up all the gear.....and twice they forgot to turn on my tank valve...once I caught it before jumping off the boat....another time I was in a hurry and missed it, and found out the tank valve was closed after jumping in........fortunately I was positively bouyant and simply swam back to the boat to get it turned back on.......but had that not been the case I'd have had to ditch the weight belt to get to the surface......or try and reach back to turn on the valve myself. I didn't try to turn it on myself that time, since I was near the boat, but I was diving 'stubby' LP 95's, and they were likely mounted too low for me to reach the valve by myself if I'd had to........luckily I didn't have to try it....but I doubt I could have...although had it turned into an extreme emergency maybe I'd have managed it.

In future whenever others set up my gear I'll always test things out to be sure I can reach the valve if needed.

Karl

Being able to reach your tank valve is a good suggestion but in response to the last post I would also suggest that you do a buddy check before getting in the water - or at the very least - a self check. Take a few breaths from your reg and watch your pressure gauge. If the guage falls and bounces back when you take a breath - this indicates your valve is not on all the way and if you can't breathe at all that means it is not on!! Also allows you to taste the gas in your tank etc. and make sure your reg is working. You should do this always and especially after someone else has set up your gear for you. Please don't ever go in the water without checking your gear over :) This will prevent you ever having to deal with a out of air situation before you even start your dive.

So test things out not just so you can reach the valve but to make sure you don't NEED to reach the valve.

Even a buddy check in the water before descent is better than no buddy check at all! :wink:

And kinky is a bad thing?

Crap, I'm going straight to hell for that one!

bermudaskink once bubbled...
come dive WITH me...

("come dive me" sounds a little to kinky)

i have really tried everything that i can think of. i put it at low as i can and still have both straps connect. the highest strap is right next to where the tank gets smaller. i am a large in a medium bc. could that be the problem.

Try a larger BCD and see if that helps -(that should allow the tank to drop down further rather than being stuck up round your head) do you know anyone that has a larger BCD you can try out? if not try renting some different BCs and playing around with them. If you go into a dive shop that rents gear and tell them you want to play around in the water with a few different BCs I am sure they would let you do that for free (in the hope you might buy a new one from them :wink:)

Don't put up with it though.

I'd suggest talking to someone at your LDS or perhaps an instructor. It sounds like you could best be helped by someone who can actually see you in your gear and assess the situation first hand.

Good luck.

is not as clear as it could be.

You mentioned octopus, but we are all thinking that you mean the first stage. So, are you talking about the second stage octo, the hoses, or the actual first stage?

If it is the latter, then I might suggest you learn how to dive without injuring yourself. The stage touching the back of your head is not necessarily a bad thing. Other than tossing your head back in an inappropriate manner, there is not much to actually hurt you. Your trim, IMHO is far more important (refer to my first post).

Also, the real problem might be so obvious as to be easily missed in type (can't see the forest for the trees). You might need to send us a photo of your set-up and of you wearing your set-up. Without that, you might need to befriend a DM or Dive Instructor and ask for their hands-on advice. If you ever are down this way, I would be happy to assist you. Good luck and dive safe.

GLENNsim once bubbled...
i have really tried everything that i can think of. i put it at low as i can and still have both straps connect. the highest strap is right next to where the tank gets smaller. i am a large in a medium bc. could that be the problem.

I'm 6'1", 195-200 pounds, wear an XL wetsuit and medium jacket-type BC. A large BC fits me like the astrodome, so I doubt that would help you.

We need to get someone to actually see what you are up to.

Perhaps the BC is screwed up somehow. Some BCs have a much smaller strap on the top that isn't intended to go around the body of the tank. The strap's only function is to go over the tank neck and let you tighten the big cam band without juggling the BC. The little strap never gets tight.

What brand and model of BC are you using? Perhaps we can find you a picture of the tank mounted properly.

I'm on the other coast, so I'm not much help in coming to see you. The SO would revoke my birth certificate if I went to Vegas without her. :)

Let's hope someone is making a trip to Vegas soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom