my tank hits my head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

based on the comment above, and was wondering if it was taken by a student/customer? I know when I get a batch of "iffy" divers (like the time I had 8 certified divers, none of whom had 10 dives) I spend most of my time swimming backwards, counting divers, trying to catch their problems before they turn into rescue-inducing situations, etc. There's an inverse ratio to how much I swim backwards & the skill level of my divers.

Oh....just reminded me of something to do with the "kinky/skinky" topic...I work primarily with Japanese divers here in Guam, and every once in a while, I used to see some of them show up with t-shirts that said "Kinki tourist" or something (their spelling).....turns out that it's just a region of Japan, analagous to "Florida tourist" or whatever....but they get some funny looks from the locals here who don't know that! :)

i am using a us divers vest. clyepso or something. i dont have a camera to send pics. the strap that sucers the vest to me is around my belly button in the center.any pics would help

A Bermuda Skink AKA a rock lizard, is Bermuda’s only endemic terrestrial vertebrate. Skinks are found commonly along coastal cliffs and on offshore islands, hence the tie in to diving. Aside from cats and birds, the skink also suffers from the insidious impact of roadside trash. The clawed feet of the Bermuda skink are poorly adapted to movement over smooth surfaces. Discarded bottles make lethal traps for unsuspecting skinks that enter searching for food and are trapped, destined to die of starvation, drowning or heat stress.

Being a former British colony and having all the traditions that accompany it, one should note that Ms. Skink is not flashing us a backwards V for victory sign or wishing us peace. It is rather the British expression of scorn and contempt as a variant of the more well known American middle finger, but with an extra finger thrown in to make it that much more painful. It's also known in polite circles as "up your bum".

Marc

is your body's attitude in the water. The ideal position is pretty near horizontal with your feet just a skosh above your head (this reduces silting). Your tank is a sliding ballast... too far forward and you are on your head. Too far back and you are almost standing. Many people will play with putting weights on the neck of their tank or on their ankles, when all they really need to do is to adjust their tank.

Trim is paramount for efficient diving. You have to expend more energy if it is not right. Many of my students who are thin require their tank a bit forward, where their head can make contact with the valve. They just compensate the way they hold their head and all is good.

GLENNsim once bubbled...
i am using a us divers vest. clyepso or something. i dont have a camera to send pics. the strap that sucers the vest to me is around my belly button in the center.any pics would help

Is this your BC?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3623826924&category=16053

If so, it is much like my old USD Cousteu.

On mine, the top tank strap (the one with _only_ velcro) needed to be so high it would normally creep up and end up loosely around the neck of the tank. The cam band is more than enough to hold the tank.

I also had to adjust the shoulder straps as long as possible.

FLL Diver once bubbled...
Being a former British colony and having all the traditions that accompany it, one should note that Ms. Skink is not flashing us a backwards V for victory sign or wishing us peace. It is rather the British expression of scorn and contempt as a variant of the more well known American middle finger, but with an extra finger thrown in to make it that much more painful. It's also known in polite circles as "up your bum".

Marc

Thanks for clearing the "V" up, but I believe its understandable but slightly out of context. The last time I saw a woman in that position showing contempt was when my wife was delivering our second child and the doctor told her to stop pushing. Being American, she only offered the single-finger indication of scorn. :wink:

I haven't come back to this thread - don't know why I didn't get emails - but I have come back now to all you guys talking about my profile pic. Cracked me up!

:rofL:

In answer to all your questions:

No, the picture was taken by my husband - we were in the Maldives on our honeymoon. But I know what you mean about having to dive backwards with students. I do feel the need to do this, esp. with the young ones.

The "up your bum" hand signals are meant in jest, not in any kind of contempt though! :wink: And also it really means "look! we still have our fingers" a hand signal that was coined by the English archers in the 100 years war when they fought the French. The French would cut of these two fingers (the ones they used to pull back the arrows) whenever they caught an English archer.... so after a while the English would always put their two fingers up at the French that was a way of saying ha ha you haven't caught me yet. But now, we Brits just do it for a laugh - not always in anger. In this case I'm doing it as a way of saying, "screw you guys, I'm a divegod"..... :)

It's the only pic I could find of me diving. :) ... I might change it soon though. I want to get photoTJ to make me a cool photo thing like he offered. (see his thread in non-diving related...)

I am British and Bermudian (born here, parents are English/ Bermudian, lived there, lived here).

Marc - I am glad you were so interested in what a Bermuda Skink was that you did a search for it.

You copied and pasted that from the Bermuda Royal Gazette Website didn't you? Ha ha. I got you! :confined:

Well, if you can put two and two together - you'll know what my name is and where I work ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom