My Visit To A New Dive Shop Near STL MO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cards90

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just want to let you know how it went.

I stopped in the New DS in O'fallon IL called Tri Scuba Inc. on my way to pick up some "Killer Mold" chemicals and testing supplies in STL MO. I had met the owners while at Cerulean Quarry a few weeks earlier and wanted to return a favor for letting me dive with them. Anywho here is my report.

1. Easy to find location.

2. Good Parking

3. Nice clean well stocked store

However I feel that the service I received was not expected, this could be all my fault since I was wearing my old clothes that are comfortable (I look Like a PO BOY in them) while driving. I had taken a little extra money with me on this trip so that I could pick up a computer (my first computer, could hardly wait!!) I was willing to spend up to $3500 cash. The owner showed me what he had on the wall and gave me a couple of catalogs with prices that he had wrote in them, this was all great and I was going to choose one while I drove into STL to get my supplies, I wanted to look at a couple more items but while we were talking he was heading towards the door and out to the sidewalk that is when I started to feel like he did not really want me there. He had talked me out of leaving my other dive gear with him to get serviced (at the Quarry his wife had told me that they had a guy that serviced scubapro but he did not want me to leave mine) Next time I will wear new clothes and make sure he sees my wad of money.

I bought a new Suunto Stinger from someone else that night.

Don't change a thing. Wear those old clothes, if they do not give you the time of day take your business elsewhere. You did the right thing. I went through a pro-active sales training course and they told of a true story of a millionaire who was stiffed by a equipment sales operator because of his worn out overalls. I probably would not have handled it as tactfully as you though, I would have flashed the money in their face while I headed for the door! Your loss people!!!

I'm the guy you're talking about and I just wanted to touch base with you...first, I want to apologize for any feeling you may have had about not being wanted in the shop. I'm really sorry for that. I appreciate everyone who comes in and I don't look at clothes or appearances...I'm just a retired air force enlisted guy myself and I don't make any pretenses about being special...as for your gear, my repair guy didn't do scubapro, my wife was wrong. I won't repair anything without the factory kits or proper training; I hope you'll remember that I did offer to drive your gear over to a scubapro shop here in St. Louis myself, give them the repair business, and then get it back to you! That's not what shops normally do but I really thought I was doing the right thing...as for walking to the door, I remember that you were talking about leaving yourself, and I stayed with you all the way and didn't just abandon you...I'm not trying to make excuses or defend myself, I just wanted to try to explain from my point of view...I hope you'll accept this apology, and come back in another day...even if just to let me say "sorry" in person...best of luck and good diving...Tommy

This post is dated 9/9, hope you haven't bought that Stinger yet, sure it's nice but new options are available from Sunnto and Oceanic.

And that service from a LDS owner, especially in light of what is happening with the on-line dealers taking so much business, shame on you........

triscu:
I'm not trying to make excuses or defend myself, I just wanted to try to explain from my point of view...I hope you'll accept this apology, and come back in another day...even if just to let me say "sorry" in person...best of luck and good diving...Tommy
First of all Tri-scuba, Welcome to the board! You sound like an up-and-up kind of guy, just goes to show what perceptions can do to an individual. Sales and dealing with the public has never been an easy trade, communication is key and making every potential customer feel extra special usually seals the deal. I commend you on your offer for a public and personal apology. With that kind of attitude and special attention to every sales prospect I think you will succeed in your business.

Speaking as a LDS owner - I forget sometimes what it is like to be on the other side of the counter. This type of experience is what prompted me to open my own shop. If anyone ever has this kind of feeling in my shop, I want to know about it personally. I am not taking sides, because this could have been a communication problem. I do understand how important it is to provide excellent customer service and value. I hope that another LDS earned your business and you you did not support the internet. The reason why I say this is because the internet does not support divers. I know local dive shops must always try harder and do better, but of all of the owners and managers that I know, most really do care about divers.
Be aware Midwest Scuba in St. Charles has 2 factory certified technicians for all Scubapro needs, as well as most other brands. St. Charles too far to drive?? Drop your gear off at Y-kiki Divers. 314-469-8722 12959 Olive Arcade Plaza - St. Louis
We do all of the service work for Y-kiki Divers. Call ahead of time to make sure someone will be there. Good luck and safe diving!! Ken Elliott - Midwest Scuba
www.midwestscuba.net

I stopped in the New DS in O'fallon IL called Tri Scuba Inc. on my way to pick up some "Killer Mold" chemicals and testing supplies in STL MO. I had met the owners while at Cerulean Quarry a few weeks earlier and wanted to return a favor for letting me dive with them. Anywho here is my report.

1. Easy to find location.

2. Good Parking

3. Nice clean well stocked store

However I feel that the service I received was not expected, this could be all my fault since I was wearing my old clothes that are comfortable (I look Like a PO BOY in them) while driving. I had taken a little extra money with me on this trip so that I could pick up a computer (my first computer, could hardly wait!!) I was willing to spend up to $3500 cash. The owner showed me what he had on the wall and gave me a couple of catalogs with prices that he had wrote in them, this was all great and I was going to choose one while I drove into STL to get my supplies, I wanted to look at a couple more items but while we were talking he was heading towards the door and out to the sidewalk that is when I started to feel like he did not really want me there. He had talked me out of leaving my other dive gear with him to get serviced (at the Quarry his wife had told me that they had a guy that serviced scubapro but he did not want me to leave mine) Next time I will wear new clothes and make sure he sees my wad of money.

I bought a new Suunto Stinger from someone else that night.[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom