Nautilus LL GPS MMSI necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Setup wants me to input an MMSI for my boat. I don't have a boat. I'll use several different boats all over the place when diving.

Is this really something I need to set up to use in an emergency "Can someone please come save my sorry ass " mode?

Will it not just send a mayday signal and position report?

If you want to register it, so that they know it’s you, you need a MMSI number.

Boat name is N/A, just like the directions tell you.

There we go. The directions are quite ambiguous to me. (and I do read at at least a 3rd grade level...)

They say nothing about me having an MMSI or registering the MMSI emblazoned on the ack of the unit. They are quite insistent that I input the MMSI of the boat I'm on. Or group.

I doubt knowing who I am has any bearing on coming to pick me up, unless it's just for easy cadaver identification.

They will call your wife and tell her you’re dead. She can file for insurance.

IMO, this dude's videos are worth a watch. Part 2 goes way into MMSI and programming the unit.

They will call your wife and tell her you’re dead. She can file for insurance.
Might we be talking about two different things?

Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS vs the original Nautilus Lifeline Radio (since discontinued)? I am talking the current GPS position system. No two-way comms, just outbound beacon and position report?

IMG_5063.png

I don’t know?

I found that after you referenced it, but that is not part of the user pdf manual/instructions for the current GPS unit. There is nothing in the new unit's instructions about registering an MMIS.

The instructions above were talking about using a computer program to program the unit. The new GPS does not have any way to hook to a computer - all programming is done through a phone app that sends encoded light flashes to actually download your programming to the LL GPS.

I think they are stressing about registering it to your boat's MMIS and saying it will only call your boat for the first 30 minutes after activation so as to not bring folks from all directions.

I found that after you referenced it, but that is not part of the user pdf manual/instructions for the current GPS unit. There is nothing in the new unit's instructions about registering an MMIS.

The instructions above were talking about using a computer program to program the unit. The new GPS does not have any way to hook to a computer - all programming is done through a phone app that sends encoded light flashes to actually download your programming to the LL GPS.

I think they are stressing about registering it to your boat's MMIS and saying it will only call your boat for the first 30 minutes after activation so as to not bring folks from all directions.
I'd be shocked if it worked that way.

When a PLB goes off, it sends a satellite signal to any satellite that will listen.

It will then send a signal to anyone programmed to receive.

That may be the boat that isn't too far away, specifically, and will set off a DSC alarm on that boat. It may also be any boat in the vicinity, as well as Rescue 21.

I never paid attention to DSC alarms that went off as (we had a conversation n another thread) unregistered locator beacons or DSC radio alarms go off all the time.

I did respond to them when I was in Cuba as many of my divers had Lifelines and wanted to "try them out". FML. I'm not sure that the response was what they wished it was.

IMO, this dude's videos are worth a watch. Part 2 goes way into MMSI and programming the unit.

The second video was especially helpful to understanding the MMIS function and how for what this radio will likely be carried for it is not really relevant.

I think a page in the user manual explaining the system and how it is used would have been helpful. I think the manual was written for a more sophisticated user of marine positioning and reporting tech than me.

I also think for someone doing solo diving in open water (big blue open water) it might be a pretty useful piece of kit if ever needed (like your sidearm, not likely ever needed, but in the moment it is needed, it is really really needed right damn then.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom