Neck Seal - Neoprene vs. Latex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431:
Well, I am built like a moose, but thats another story!!!

Do you get a better seal in the spring, after you shed the antlers?

Snowbear:
The latex neck seal on my dry suit was replaced back in November due to catastrophic failure. It's had about 70 or so dives on it since then and is already starting to look a bit weak. I've been diligent about caring for it and it HAS lasted longer than the last one!

The dry hood just failed as well and after a couple dives with a wet head, I decided I prefer dry. (BTW - since someone will inevitably ask - yes, I use a neoprene hood for insulation since the latex is useless for anything other than keeping the melon dry).

I've read several reviews from folks that seem to prefer the comfort and warmth of neoprene neck seals. I'm wondering - do they last longer than the latex ones?

Next question - does anyone know if an attached dry hood can be installed with a neoprene neck seal?

In terms of dryness and confort, I would always recommend latex over neoprene.. for warmth you do need some type of hood, a biibbed hood with an arrangement like the dui warm neck collar is very confortabel and warm.

If you are only getting 70 dives out of your seals you aren't treating them well..... I generally get 2 to 3 seasons of dives on a neck seal thats well over 100 dives a year in a bad year, and even at that point the seals LOOK fine but have started to lose some of their elasticity, so I'll replace them..

Replacing neck seals is cheap and easy.. 2 years ago I switched to commercial neck and wrist seals, and so far they look as good as the day I put them on.

Do you guys roll the neoprene seal in on itself ? Thats what I've been advised to do with mine. Or do you just wear it straight along the neck ?

Latex seals are the most comfortable. If you can, get the military latex seals.

They are a bit thicker and tend to lay flat without the roll that always seems to happen with Latex.

i use a latex neck seal and only just changed it after about 250 dives. Maybe if you try the heavy duty latex as NEWreckDiver suggest you might be happier. Definitely like being dry :) so i'm sticking with Latex :p

Hoppy:
Do you guys roll the neoprene seal in on itself ? Thats what I've been advised to do with mine. Or do you just wear it straight along the neck ?
You roll it under itself, so the neoprene skin will seal against your neck. If you just wear it straight, you will get water seepage.

I think the neoprene neck seal is more comfortable if it is sized correctly. But I do like a dry head, and dry hoods just don't work with the neoprene neck seal.

I've always used a Viking foam beanie underneath a dry hood, and it does very well....

Cheers,
BD

Hoppy:

if your neck seal is constructed with open cell neoprene tuck or roll an inch or so inside your neck seal, if its compressed or crushed it should be ok lying flat on your neck, if you still have issues you can cut 1/2 inch rings out of an old wet suit arm and use that for a neck ring, good luck

neoprene seals can be relativly dry for a period of time but they will start to seep after a time, ive heard that neoprene seals should last at least 300 or more dives.

latex seals depending on quality can last a long time but when the go they go, I much perfer neoprene seals because of comfort and durability I just cant stant the single line across my neck with a latex seal. but if you want to stay with latex seals I would recomend a suit like a typhoon that you can instantly change the o ring sealed neck and wrist seals if you should have a catasrophic faliure at the site, especially if your someware that is not near a repair facility.

I stay dry in a folded neoprene neck seal (needs to be folded to let the air build a positive pressure under it to keep out the water) and get 4-500 dives out of a neck seal wrist seals may get replaced once every 3-400 dives. I usually change suits before the seals are shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom