Neck Seal - Neoprene vs. Latex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumbo:
neoprene seals can be relativly dry for a period of time but they will start to seep after a time, ive heard that neoprene seals should last at least 300 or more dives.
Start to seep after a period of time during a long dive or during their lifetime?
300-500 dives sure beats my track record so far - and I AM taking care of them!
Wrist seals are not an issue as I use dry gloves attached via a ring system.

Snowbear:
Start to seep after a period of time during a long dive or during their lifetime?
300-500 dives sure beats my track record so far - and I AM taking care of them!
Wrist seals are not an issue as I use dry gloves attached via a ring system.

In my experience my neoprene seal has only leaked once and that's because I cotorted the '****" out of my body. If anything it may start to leak after several hundred dives. My first neoprene neckseal was just like new after 7 years of diving the Great Lakes. & so far after 3 years on my new suit / neckseal no leaks.

I do roll it under a few inches every dive.

Paula

LUBOLD8431:
Every time I use a neoprene neck seal I get wet. I like latex seals much better.

I've had no problem with neoprene wrist or neck seals. I have not had the opportunity to dive a suit with latex seals so I can't compair them there.

Snowbear:
Wow!! How many dives? A few hundred on the new one as well? Do you have a dry hood?

hmmm... not sure. I do somewhere between 30 and 100 dry suit dives a year. Varies quite a bit depending on weather and how busy I am at work. & I'm not a winter Great Lakes diver.

No dry hood and the new neck seal is holding up just as nicely.

One thing I didn't mention before is that some women have trouble with neoprene neck seals. Probably some men too for that matter. If you have a large difference in the circumference of your head and the circumference of your neck the situations one might encounter are: a) fits your neck but is a bear donning / doffing. b) relatively easy to don / doff but seal isn't the best. But, rolling the seal does help greatly.

Paula

Thanks, Paula. The suit is going to be sent off next week for more size adjustments and yet another exhaust valve replacement.
Sounds like the neoprene is worth a try, but I still don't know about the dry hood. One answer said it doesn't work, but not why.

Snowbear:
Thanks, Paula. The suit is going to be sent off next week for more size adjustments and yet another exhaust valve replacement.
Sounds like the neoprene is worth a try, but I still don't know about the dry hood. One answer said it doesn't work, but not why.

You are most welcome Snowbear. I can't help with the dry hood as I've never used one. Can't even recall anyone in my local club that does. I just make sure I have a comb and a funny looking hood / hat made out of polar fleece for when I'm back on board the boat!

Paula

I'm still renting gear ... so have tried a bit of everything it seems. This weekend I had some great dives in a new suit with lovely fresh latex seals. Sooo much easier to don & doff. Only drawback is the lovely red ring around my neck...But oh so dry. :) I've tried the neoprene with the folded neck seal and a neck strap...but felt that icy trickle :frown2: down my back each dive....and getting the suit off was a production worthy of SNL. :f: So..until I find different....I'm sold on the latex seals for now. But for those who like the neoprene but have a heckuva time donning & doffing...I saw this crazy plastic hood with a mesh face plate/air vent on it that you put on over your head..tuck it into the neck seal..and supposedly this helps you with the doffing and keeps your hair intact.
Happy Diving! :bounce:

VanGirl:
I saw this crazy plastic hood with a mesh face plate/air vent on it that you put on over your head..tuck it into the neck seal..and supposedly this helps you with the doffing and keeps your hair intact.
Happy Diving! :bounce:
That's interesting. My daughter uses a neoprene DS with a neoprene neck seal and with all her hair is a bit of PITA to get off.

Can you point me in the direction of this "hood" I'd like to check it out...

thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom