Need A Couple Questions Answered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had overheard my LDS say the same thing, but at the time it was two employees(one a trainee the other an instructor) talking and saying that some moanufacturers are starting to make it complicated for the warranty. Like needing to buy it from an authorized dealer(they didn't say a LDS), and for some of the parts for life thing you need to buy a package like bcd and reg set or reg and DC at the same time, buying them seperately didn't count. At the time I was like wierd but ok I could see them maybe doing that but didn't really make sense. I also was thinking gee that would make a good reason to buy from a LDS or total bs.

Man I hate these decisions. Lol.

The reason I wouldn't mind the difference in price to buy them from my local shop is customer service. They've been good to me so far, and given that the regs need to be services annually. Customer service will go a long way. The Lds I deal with most doesn't deal HOG. There's a second shop not too far away that sells HOG, as well as a guy I know.

Let me throw another reg in the mix. Scuba pro mk17 with A700. Yes? No? Maybe?

Don't make the decision harder than it needs to be. Either Apeks or Hog are solid regs, don't need to throw anything else into the mix.

If I were you:

If the majority of my diving was to be local OR if my intent was to learn to service my own regs, I would buy Hog and keep a spare parts kit with me when I did travel.

If most of my diving was "away", I would buy the Apeks - from an authorized dealer, but not necessarily the local shop unless they were willing to fix their pricing - simply because there is greater parts and service availability whereever you go (Hog is building out fast but is still too young to have as extensive a dealer network).

If you go the Apeks route and the LDS won't budge on price AND you can get them from a different authorized dealer at a better price, do you really think your LDS will turn down the service business? Particularly if you are frequenting them for other purposes? Give them a chance to better the price. If they don't, there is absolutely no reason for you to feel guilty about buying elsewhere. It's business.

I agree with gcarter,

I couldn't find any info from Apeks about free parts for life only Aqualung:
Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment

The info is very specific but also very complicated. Official retailers don't need to provide that warranty only official distributors.
What I suspect could happen is unless your LDS is a distributor they will service your regs with free parts for a year or so then suddenly claim they are no longer a official distributor and stop giving you those free parts.

Honestly if your LDS is already giving you the beat around before you even got the regs I can only imagine what kind of problems you'll get later.

Forget Apeks/Aualung/SP at least on the free parts warranty, just get a good reg based on price.

i have a set of dive rite regs that i bought used. i have 2 x 1208 first stages, and 2 x 2010 second stages. they seem to breath fine. i have enuf service kits to rebuild both of the 1st and both 2nd stages. the guy told me they were rebuilt this year, but i cant seem to get in contact with the shop that did them. my question is, should i dive them on my first deep dive? or rent

What? You already have a set of diverite regs, they are decent regs why do you need to buy anything else then?

If you are concerned just go to your lds and ask them to do a ip creep test. If nothing is wrong they are good to go and service them a year later just in case.

What's you're idea of a deep dive 40-50m? If its recreational depths I doubt anything will go wrong.

yeah i bought them used. didnt pay alot for em. they've seen alot of use. guy i bought them off was an sea urgent diver. those guys dive in less than 10 feet of water, all day long. so they breath the **** outta their regs. i bought them to use while i was putting together a kit. i just wanna have a good new set of regs. regs that i will use, maintain and service regularly. then i know what i have. same with everything.

whats a creep test? and yeah its only 120 feet. but its the deepest ive been

yeah i bought them used. didnt pay alot for em. they've seen alot of use. guy i bought them off was an sea urgent diver. those guys dive in less than 10 feet of water, all day long. so they breath the **** outta their regs. i bought them to use while i was putting together a kit. i just wanna have a good new set of regs. regs that i will use, maintain and service regularly. then i know what i have. same with everything.

whats a creep test? and yeah its only 120 feet. but its the deepest ive been

Dude, LOL, half an hour later and all of that. Don't you sleep? Bad enough I'm still on here... (but the black rum is good)

Don't be in a hurry, they will do you, maintained regs last a long time. Take your time and continue to read & learn. What you have gives you the luxury of time.

I've see regs that have gone without servicing for 3 yrs, are nearly all green outside but still breath fine. That's how some commercial divers "take care of their regs"

Rarely do regs fail if ever. However, if you suspect something wrong, just go have your lds do a complete test on the regs.

Back
Top Bottom