need advice on buying a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I will be in Cozumel again in June, we dive in 3/2 full suits and are very comfortable diving multiple days. Water temps according to our computers that time of year is in the low 80's. We used the same suits in the cenotes a couple of years ago and the temps were in the high 70's, we did add 2mm hooded vests though.

If your very sensitive to cold and plan on diving multiple days, I doubt you would find a 4/3 suit to be too much. You can always flush some water through it if needed.

As stated everyone is different. I tend to run on the cold side and for April/May or October/November bring two and alternate (a 3/2 and 4/5). For June however with temps already in the 80's I am usually fine in a 3/2. If I were you I would definitely not do less than a 3/2.

You really never know. I used to know a lady who wore a dry suit to dive Coz in August.

If you take a 3 mil jumpsuit and find that it is not enough, you and rent a shorty to wear over it - yet not close to your skin.

Got DAN dive insurance? Hiring a private DM for the first day is money well spent.

Last edited:
I am very comfy in a 3/2 full suit. For a single dive I have just worn shorts and was fine. I have 2mm shorty I will be trying there in a few more days.

I was there last late July/August and was uncomfortably warm in my 3/2 full suit. I'm going back in mid-June and was thinking of just bringing a .5 mil suit. Does anyone know if the water temps are much different between mid June and late July?

It really all depends on how many dives you plan on doing per day. If you know you get chilled easily there is no shame in wearing even a 5 mil. since it is much easier to cool down in the water by flushing your suit than it is to warm up.

My suggestion is to use the layering technique. Start with a good 3 mil. and a hooded vest. If you are too warm you can always shed the vest.

My general advice to those who chill easily is to always wear a hood. It really makes you feel much warmer even while wearing a thin suit.

Wow, I must be a freak to dive in my swim trunks and a UV shirt lol!

Same here, last Oct trunks and a UV shirt :D will do the same in three days, woohoo :wink:

Back
Top Bottom