Need for SPG console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say get one of the HOG 2" brass SPG and HP hose with length that fit you. The HOG SPG (brass case with temper glass face) is very solidly built. It is so much higher quality that that I got from Oceanic (all platics). And I paid less for the HOG with a better fit hp hose.

And PM Jim Lapenta for HOG product. You won't be disappointed.

Actually, now that you mention it, the one at DGE has a 32" hose, so based on that alone I would go with something else - 32" is way too long!
The length for the HP hose connected to a SPG is really a diver's preference.
The standard 32-inch HP hose works well for a lot of people. Several of my buddies have this length and have no issues with it. My girlfriend likes to route her SPG under her left arm and clip it off to her right chest D-ring. She does this so that she can glance down without unclipping/clipping/pulling/touching anything and check on her gas supply.
Most DIR divers go with a 24-inch HP hose. That length is quite streamlined and should clip in easily to the left waist D-ring.
I prefer to have a couple extra inches of length on the hose in question. My "Goldilocks" length for a SPG HP hose is 26 inches. YMMV.

Dive Gear Express has very good prices on hoses. They ship items quickly and their customer service is very good.
However, if given my choice of Internet retailers, I always go with ScubaToys. It's very difficult to beat their prices, they will price-match LeisurePro, and I have yet to encounter a company more dedicated to customer service.

ScubaToys sells a basic, plastic Tusa SPG (I think it comes with a 32-inch HP hose; verify this prior to ordering) that would fit the OP's needs. I believe the item is $55. With a ScubaBoard member 10% discount and free shipping, that's $50 for a simple SPG + hose. Hard to beat that.

In the past, I've purchased good-quality stainless steel bolt-snaps from Nix Dog Collars. The owner is a nice guy. I think his prices have increased a little over the years. However, if you only want to buy one or two clips, probably better to get them from a local dive shop or include them with a larger online order.

The length for the HP hose connected to a SPG is really a diver's preference.

Yes, which is why I said I would go with shorter. I did not intend to infer that the OP should...sometimes I hate the Internet. It's easy to assume what someone else means :D

Or the OP could just buy two AI computers with built in compasses...then they would have that covered and be able to monitor buddy pressure too. Oh wait, someone may not agree b/c they are so unreliable and over-priced..blah blah :D

Had to stir the pot a little. FWIW my AI computer (Uwatec Luna) has 200+ dives and has not had any issues at all. The compass works great too.

If so, what's the best route to go here...a full-on SPG console?
I like my computer on my wrist. Since you already have computers configured that way, presumably, skip the console. I like the 24" hose on my pressure gauge, which gets clipped to my hip D-ring. Here's one (of unspecified hose length) on sale: Tusa Pressure Gauge, $55

Do we really need a compass? Any help/advice is appreciated, and if you can recommend specific models...even better.
The way you posed this question makes me think you know compasses are part of the standard gear. But you are correct in your surmise that they often go unused, particularly in the sort of diving you can expect in Belize. Mine has probably gone a hundred dives without use, so you really can get away without one. You will probably be following a divemaster around like a dog on a leash and you will probably be able to navigate effectively using underwater landmarks (seamarks?) and taking advantage of the 80' visibility. If you decide to get a compass--and I recommend that you do--the Suunto SK7 is a nice one.

This info along with your brain are the necessities to have a safe dive.
How about his lungs? Are lungs necessary for a safe dive? Liver? I think we can safely assume that the OP intends to bring all his bodily organs. :wink:

g1138:
This info along with your brain are the necessities to have a safe dive.

How about his lungs? Are lungs necessary for a safe dive? Liver? I think we can safely assume that the OP intends to bring all his bodily organs. :wink:

Nah, those things are required to dive. Gotta read the fine print. :wink:

This is all you need. A simply, sturdy SPG with a robust bolt-snap connector. Bolt snap connected via a cave-knot, o-ring or zip-tie. Hose length should be 24-28" max... anything longer would be unnecessary.

HighLandSPG.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom