Need help choosing type of FF and strap.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, been lurking for a while and thought i'd ask for some help before i pull the trigger on a pair of Force Fins. These will be my 1st pair of FF's, I'm really having dificutly deciding on which ones and which strap to use? A bit about me, I am a former competitive swimmer and still swim a few times a week for my free diving. I scuba and free dive all my vacations (2 or 3 a year, always tropical). I've been using appollo bio fin pro's for a few years and love them, but want something better suited for travel. I'm a pretty big buy, over 6' and over 100kgs and fit. size 12 us with wide feet (was suggested that i get the XXL with comfort inserts)

The FF pro's have been suggested, but i'm wondering if i should go with the tan deltas' or even the excellerating. I think the most important.... decent for free diving, compact for travel (are the excellerating fins much larger than the FF pros? much heavier?) and an all-around scuba fin.

As for the strap, i'm not sure which one is better for my purpose, i usually have soft 2mm booties, but if the comfort inserts work well i'd rather be barefoot. which strap would suit me better the nylon or bungee?

any help greatly appreciated.

cheers, Alex

alex_salem,
Thanks for your post and interest. I am looking forward to hearing from other Force Finners, but I will give you my take.

On the Heel strap if you do not have big plans on swimming in the Surf Zone or maybe just a bit go with the Bungie Heel Strap. It is very comfortable and donning and doffing your fins is a breeze. If you are thirsty for waves at every location go with Nylon heel straps.
Fin Models
Being a big guy you will find sufficient propulsion from both the Excellerating and PRO Force Fin- they are both good choices.

Excellerating Force Fin XXL
20 3/4" at its longest
9" at its widest
just over 5lbs in weight with a bungie heel strap

PRO Force Fin XXL
18" at its longest
12" at its widest
just under 4lbs. with a bungie heel strap

It sounds like you are mostly doing free diving and as most free divers like a really prolonged extended kick the design of the Excellerating Force Fin performs better in this manner than the PRO. That being said we have Dr. Harvey Barret making it down to 102 FSW with his Tan Delta and PRO Force Fins as well as others who swear by free diving in the PRO Force Fin. The Excellerating Force Fin has been my favorite Force Fin for decades and I find it to preform in all conditions handling a variety of tasks. I also use my PROS for my work,very comfortable and having shorter blades comes in handy when diving sometimes., but I am not using them as much when I am free diving.

For travel it is a toss up as the Excellerating Force Fins a bit heavier and longer, but not as wide as the PRO. Both easy to pack. PROS are better for carry on.

Due to your shipping address currently at this time you will be able to take a part in our Special so this might help in making the choice.

Having a 12 wide foot with a thin sole bootie will put you in XXL with a Comfort Instep. If your 2mm bootie has no sole to speak of an XL could fit depending on how wide you foot is. To use an XXL Force Fin barefoot will be a stretch on the sizing depending on how wide your foot is E, EE, or EEE.

Hope this helps you and I am looking forward to hear what others have to say in helping you make the choice.

The Excellerating by far if you can afford them!! Both are great fins, but in my opinion the
Excellerating are a much more comfortable kick with power when it is needed. On the flip side,
even when just hovering and covering small areas they rock. I know I am heavily biased, but
this fin is by far the best I have ever used!! (hoping my new pair show up soon!)

Excellerators rock, probably the best fins out there, add the Batwings or Whiskers they are even better, but... they are pricey and you'll probably be just as happy with the Pros, TanDeltas, or Flying Force depending on what you want to spend. I've done plenty of freediving with all of them and they are all good. While I truly love the Excellerator, I find myself diving the Pros alot.

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated. Blair, thanks, I hadn't been able to find the dimensions of the fins anywhere, and thanks for all the other info, very informative. I think i'll just jump in with both feet and get the excellerating (they are still a couple of pounds lighter than my biofins), sounds like the best option with all the non-scuba activities. Its a toss up for which strap, probably go with the nylon just for the extra safety and piece of mind if I get daring enough to take them in the surf. I do love body surfing, but not sure i'd be bold enough to risk losing one of these fins. The only concern is the size, much of what i've read is if anything they fit a bit small? but not sure if that is just because of different booties for different folks? So i figure i'll go with the xxl's and if a little big, I'll just use my 2mm booties all the time.

Thanks again for all the advice, happy to hear any other opinions as I will hold off getting them after the weekend.

cheers, Alex

Its a toss up for which strap, probably go with the nylon just for the extra safety and piece of mind if I get daring enough to take them in the surf. I do love body surfing, but not sure i'd be bold enough to risk losing one of these fins.

You might be a candidate for the FF Keepers Force Fin Force Fin Keeper

Back
Top Bottom