need help deciding on a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CARZYDIVER

Reaction score
hello there, im new to scuba and i am ready to buy my next piece of gear which would be my computer, my problem is that i dont know which one is good to start out with, ill be doing alot of diving in ny, and florida, can anyone help mewith some suggestions? that would be great,

Suunto makes a good computer, but it depends on what features you want as well as price. I would go with something that is Nitrox capable (if not just for the resale value). Air integrated computers will be a bit more, but if you want one that offers a decent range of functionality, check out the Vyper. Can be console or wrist mounted. It's not air integrated, but is fairly versatile.

Thanks For The Advice, Thats Another ? I Have, Is To Purchase Air Intergrated Or Not, Is There Really A Big Difference Other Than Price?, Thanks Again For The Info I Will Check Out That Computer.

Air integration can be good or bad. Depends on your point of view. It allows you to view your tank pressure right on the computer instead or in addition to an SPG. But like any electronic instrument, it can be subject to potential failure. You have to weigh out the risk/benefit equation and decide from there.

CARZYDIVER:
hello there, im new to scuba and i am ready to buy my next piece of gear which would be my computer, my problem is that i dont know which one is good to start out with, ill be doing alot of diving in ny, and florida, can anyone help mewith some suggestions? that would be great,

II did the same, bought a computer befor a reg or BCD.
One thing that is clear, you can't use a computer that is built
into a console or one that is air integrated. You need something
that is stand alone. Likely wrist mounted.

I think yu choise is either Suunto or "one of the others" Most of
the non-suunto are OEM'd by the same company and are therefor much alike. One thing I did was to go to each manufacture's web site and down load and read the user manual. Most are on-line in PDF format. See if you can understand the manuals

Much depends on your budget. It's easy to recommend something high end. Of couse the $1,200 unit is good (duh) but the Aries
Atmos I would work and LP's price is only $175 and other will
price match it.

Suuntos work differently, some like it some don't but also
see if you can read the display and the writting around the
edges too. I need reading glasses and small print is hard for
me But do download and read the user manuals

I dive the Vyper, which is a wrist mounted computer. It's nitrox, air and gauge modes make it a very versatile dive instrument. Some say that Suuntos units are very conservative. That may or may not be true depending on the reference. I have also dove with a Aeris and it was much more liberal with the dive model compared to the Suunto.
I would rather be safe than bent...

If you're doing a lot of traveling, you might like the Stinger (or Mosquito) or DiveRite also has a watch-size computer ...

They do double-duty as a watch and are not too big to wear full-time during your travels. (one less item to pack)

Personally, I love my Oceanic veo 200. I got it in the wrist mount version, and it is a breeze to use. It is nitrox compatable, but not air integrated. I like the fact that it is not, however you will hear differing opinions on that. I prefer to carry an entire cluster of analog guages in case of computer failure. Oh, you can do a demo online at www.oceanicworldwide.com. Good luck, Chris

Just look around this board, and you'll find a lot of threads with lots of input about computers.

When I was trying to decide what computer to get, I saw that more divers were in favor of a wrist computer compared to a console. However. . . .

I wanted air-integrated, and didn't want the expense (or the risk) of the data transmittor, so I got a console (Sherwood Wisdom).

Afterward, I was afraid I'd really be sorry, as it's so handy to have the computer on the wrist. But so far it's worked well. I have it on a retractable cord clipped to a D-ring on my BC. It's easy to find and it doesn't drag across the coral and sand.

If you do get a console, I'd definitely recommend one with a quick-disconnect feature. Those guys who load/unload the boats are really hard on equipment, and it's nice to be able to grab your computer before potential damage.

I'm also glad I got it with a compass.

As for the Wisdom, it has all the features I want, plus a lot of others I haven't used yet; it is easy to operate and keeps an extensive dive log. It's easy to read and has a back light for low light conditions. It gives a lot of information that make diving even more fun. The default alarms are set quite conservatively, but you can program other parameters.

I'm very happy with it. My son, also a diver, liked it so much he offered to buy it from me if I decided I didn't want it.

Look at the Oceanic Versa Pro, or the Aeris Atmos II. These units are OEM'd by the same manufacturer and are basically identical. (There are many computers on the market, it is NOT, as ChrisA stated, an either/or proposition).

I chose it based upon feature/functionality and price. Worked great so far. You can download a demo on the web at their sites...

Back
Top Bottom