Need help identifying and questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then I can't help you.

Does the orange regulator have an orange body (not just the cover)? If so, it has been my experience that those second stage housings are VERY likely to crack and disintegrate.. hold the second stage in your hand, gently try to bend the metal fitting that the hose is connected to. Look very carefully for hairline cracks around the insertion point of the metal into the hard plastic of the second stage housing. If it snaps off in your hands from gentle pressure you can thank me.

I love those regs otherwise. The First stage is bullet proof. I used one for commercial diving (shallow) and it was a work horse.. doing hundreds of tanks over several years with no work required.

blue is primary based on short hose with orange on the longer hose. These would ideally be swapped.

First stage-Technically not sealed, but that black rubber bit on the bottom leaks a steady stream of HP tiny bubbles to keep the regulator clear when it's pressurized. It is a piston, and I don't believe it is balanced.

They can be serviced, but I don't believe you can easily buy a parts kit for it. will send a pm in a minute

Ya blew that one a little brother bone, the reg has the drybleed so it has the best enviromental seal design of any piston reg, working properly, the spring chamber never gets wet. I can't tell for sure from just the photos but if the first stage is anything but a Brute (and it likely is) then it is also balanced...most folks don't know it but except for the base model, all Sherwoods are balanced flow by designs....other then the SR-1 and 2.

Blizzard and Oasis models are identical with roller demand levers and fins in the 2nd stage.
The difference is in the tuning of the 1st stage .... Blizzard is set to a lower IP (couple of fewer plastic shims under the main spring).
The "balancing" of the 1st stage is achieved with a series of cupped washers that allow the orifice to move a tiny bit as tank pressure decreases, a system unique to Sherwood.

Does the orange regulator have an orange body (not just the cover)? If so, it has been my experience that those second stage housings are VERY likely to crack and disintegrate.. hold the second stage in your hand, gently try to bend the metal fitting that the hose is connected to. Look very carefully for hairline cracks around the insertion point of the metal into the hard plastic of the second stage housing. If it snaps off in your hands from gentle pressure you can thank me.

I love those regs otherwise. The First stage is bullet proof. I used one for commercial diving (shallow) and it was a work horse.. doing hundreds of tanks over several years with no work required.

It is indeed orange bodied and does indeed have the hairline fractures, several in fact in all directions. Is it worth keeping at this point or just skip having it serviced and save some money and put it towards a replacement.

Last edited:
Herman, looked like a brute. And it is only sealed when it is pressurized, so while it is the best of the pistons, it isn't quite as tight as the diaphragms. I thought it was a brute initially on quick glance hence the unbalanced, but I left it open... you da man, as always

Agreed, I prefer diaphragms too but you have to admit, the airbleed is much better than gooping lube in the spring chamber like the rest do.

OP, the second stages might be beyond economical repair but there is nothing wrong with the first stage. The older Sherwoods are not fancy but work very well. You could pair them with a couple of new HOG second stages or grab a couple of US Divers metal seconds off ebay, rebuild them and use them. The old Conshelf seconds are pretty much industructable and parts are easy to find...not the highest performing regs but can be had for a reasonable cost with little chance of them being unrepairable....and if they come with a Conshelf first you have another tried and true first stage that can be easily serviced and dove for many years..

It is indeed orange bodied and does indeed have the hairline fractures, several in fact in all directions. Is it worth keeping at this point or just skip having it serviced and save some money and put it towards a replacement.

The housing of the second stage may be hard to replace. You should not use it if it has cracks.. The black plastic housings are very tough, just the orange ones are crap. I would just look around for an inexpensive second stage to replace the orange one -any brand will work. It is a very hardy regulator and is simple to repair and overhaul..

The housing of the second stage may be hard to replace. You should not use it if it has cracks.. The black plastic housings are very tough, just the orange ones are crap. I would just look around for an inexpensive second stage to replace the orange one -any brand will work. It is a very hardy regulator and is simple to repair and overhaul..

Since I need to get a BC I'm looking at getting a ScubaPro Litehawk with Air 2 for simplicity. As far as the primary I will see what the store says on servicing, if it can be serviced I will just have it done and dive the local quarry a few times to test it, worst case I have an air failure in a shallow quarry where and emergency assent is only 30ft or so at the deepest and will need to buy a replacement.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom