Need help identifying and questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditch the Air2 and just get another second stage. Trust me, that setup is actually much simpler, especially if you do it properly and put it on a necklace. Much much better life decision. Not sure what your long term diving goals are, but a BP/W setup of any variety, soft pack, or hard, is going to be a better long term diving investment.
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
These usually go on crazy sale for black friday, and that plate will be with you for the rest of your diving career. No other standard BC can say that.

Let me look through my stuff. I think I may have a spare sherwood 2nd stage of the same vintage in good shape. If not I can make you a deal on one of my personal HOG classic seconds. I just replaced two of them with new Zenith's to update my side mount set up. They are scratched a little from use. I just wanted to be able to demo the new seconds as a dealer. Plus I have like ten of them on my deco bottles and doubles set up. I'd like to see the ones I replaced get used instead of just setting and waiting to be dived. Every so often I update my kit and sell the units I no longer use.

There is a deal you should not pass up...get the first serviced and Jims seconds then you are good to go.

As far as the primary I will see what the store says on servicing, if it can be serviced I will just have it done and dive the local quarry a few times to test it, worst case I have an air failure in a shallow quarry where and emergency assent is only 30ft or so at the deepest and will need to buy a replacement.

You shouldn't think like this. A properly serviced older regulator is just as reliable (sometimes more so) than a new regulator. Most changes made to regulators are more for cosmetic and marketing purposes than for performance. A demand regulator is a mature device there are not many improvements to be had as all the "low hanging fruit" has already been picked.

A few thoughts on Sherwood: 1) Parts kits are easily available from eBay and NESS for about $15 for a first and second. If you buy the seats and o-rings you can even save more. 2) Check the cost of a service vs a new regulator. It may be cheaper to buy a demo or discontinued regulator than to get an older one serviced. 3) As mentioned in other posts Sherwood uses a dry-bleed system which I believe in your regulator in the piston. If I am correct and this gets blocked then you need to replace the piston which is rather expensive. The main reasons they get blocked are flooding and improper service. If you have a tank and a pool you can check this yourself. 4) As mentioned Sherwoods have a reputation for being bullet-proof and hard breathers. If tuned properly they breath rather well. 5) If you do have an unbalanced first stage it can be upgraded to balanced by replacing the flat washers with the cupped ones.

Since I need to get a BC I'm looking at getting a ScubaPro Litehawk with Air 2 for simplicity. As far as the primary I will see what the store says on servicing, if it can be serviced I will just have it done and dive the local quarry a few times to test it, worst case I have an air failure in a shallow quarry where and emergency assent is only 30ft or so at the deepest and will need to buy a replacement.

As has already been mentioned, you are much better off with a proper octo rather than an Air 2. Because that set up is anything but "simple" when it comes to actually using the A2.

JMHO,

Well ended up buying a new regulator set from the dive shop, an Aeris At400 yoke with DVT 1st with Ion primary 2nd and A2 safe 2nd. As far as the old Sherwood I may end up using it for SNUBA set up or selling it, not entirely sure on that yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom