Need help on a BP/W setup.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving ten years in BP/W's and here is my opinions.

1. Backplates differ greatly in price. Is ScubaPro or Halcyon worth the extra$? Any best bang for the buck backplate recommendations?
No. HOG or the DiveRightInScuba setup are good buys. Oh, and I own a Halcyon SS backplate.
2. For the harness, I would like to be able to loosen the shoulder straps, like on a jacket style bcd, before taking the rig off due to a bad shoulder. Is there a harness that can accommodate me on this?
Yes, you can get quick release harnesses, or adjustable harnesses. However, I have a bad right shoulder that acts up at times and find no problems with a simple correctly adjusted harness.
3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of an integrated back pad like on the Dive Rite transpac/apeksWTX/Scubapro Xtec? (all pricey)
None IMO. I tried one once and realized it was not worth the money.
4. If I want to carry little to no extra weight, is a SS backplate the way to go even though I do lots of warm water diving?
Yes IMO again. I dive my SS plate whenever I am in salt water and in my full .5mm wetusit use no additional weight. The weight distributed along my back keeps me in good trim.
5. Bladders. I spearfish mostly, lots of the time on wrecks. Any recommendations for a tough bladder that's also very streamlined?
I use a Halcyon bladder that is now tens years old and it has stood up to a lot of abuse. However many make great bladders that are pretty tough as well. A lot like the Oxycheq, but I have no first hand experience.

and then buy the XS Scuba Cam straps, which have quick release.

Correction. It was the Highland Mills Cam Straps that were quick release I was talking about.

(although I think XS Scuba bought the Highland Mills company a few years ago).

Here's how they work.

[video=youtube;3RMkwrfHdWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RMkwrfHdWc[/video]

I don't own these above Cam Bands as I've already got two sets of regular ones. but If I had to buy a new set, I'd highly consider them.

---------- Post added ----------

One more note. There is nothing wrong with "mixing and matching" brands of gear.
often you can buy a "no name plate",.............

You are describing my gear (but the "no-name plate" is a DSS)....

One more note on this to the Original poster.

there is a minor chance that some of the "no name plates" the cam slots int he wing and plate might not line up perfectly. I've seen others report this, but rarely. So you'll want to "size that up" at time of purchase if you buy different brands.

One last thing for the OP to consider in all of these responses. the great thing about the BP/W system is that you can customize it with many different components and different brands to get it exactly how you want it. Some people might want it differently to fit their needs. So not everyone is going to have the same setup of the same preferences. (or same opinions on the best way to configure it).

Thanks for all the great advice here. Transplate harness seems like the way to go. Any experience with Zeagle bp/w systems, and speaking of that, I like the hose adapter rinse out that the zeagle wings have. Do other mfg wings' have this feature and just don't say it?
Thanks again!

I am another DSS fan, but their wings are not super toughened like some other brands, and I have managed to puncture mine whilst locked in mortal combat with a lobster whilst the surge bashed me back and forth.

Thanks for all the great advice here. Transplate harness seems like the way to go. Any experience with Zeagle bp/w systems,

A lot of people like the Zeagle systems, nothing wrong with them. But you can customize a BP/W easier and chances are for a lot less than what a new Zeagle costs.

and speaking of that, I like the hose adapter rinse out that the zeagle wings have. Do other mfg wings' have this feature and just don't say it?
Thanks again!

If you search around, you can find a flush kit that will fit about any type of BC.

Amazon.com: Scuba Diving 14" BCD BC Flush Wash Hose for Seaquest: Sports & Outdoors

https://www.oceanenterprises.com/scuba-gear/xs-scuba-bc-washout-hose.html

Amazon.com: New BCD Flush Hose with Standard Inflator Adaptor: Sports & Outdoors - $18 bucks

41SMrnilZDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for all the great advice here. Transplate harness seems like the way to go. Any experience with Zeagle bp/w systems, and speaking of that, I like the hose adapter rinse out that the zeagle wings have. Do other mfg wings' have this feature and just don't say it?
Thanks again!

You can get a BC flushing adapter for your garden hose from Leisure Pro for about $25, or make one for yourself out of old scuba parts and a trip to the hardware store....

okay, mike_s beat me to it...

Pssst - the other name mentioned in reply to question #1 (HOG) in regard to wings (and they will fid a DSS plate - barely, but will fit...)

I met with a DIR diver last week and some subtle differences between my DRIS BP/W and the "H" BP/W were:

Mine had the Scubapro style tank cam's which could be a bit an entanglement hazard
The LP inflator hose was arguably a better corrugated design on the H
The H had bent drings which are a little easier to clip on

I can't remember if there were any other subtle distinctions. (Other then the obvious padding and what not ). This diver sells H and at no time did he look at my gear and call it stroke s*** so that should tell you it's in the ballpark of what a nice rig should look like.

All in all, I feel like my BP/W was a good buy. If I was debating between that and the Z Express Tech, it would really just come down to how much weight I needed to get off my belt. The Z ET was about $40 cheaper but when you factor in what my LDS wants for lead it's a wash.

If I was a hard core tech diver / cave diver spending $$$ on gear, I probably wouldn't sweat a few hundred bucks in the grand scheme of things and just go for the H. But since I'm really a rec diver looking for a nice rig to dive with a much smaller budget, the DRIS was perfect for me.

Hmmm, I've always shot the water into the oral inflator to rinse out. Is that safe (over the long run ) to shoot water through a valve meant for air?

Hmmm, I've always shot the water into the oral inflator to rinse out. Is that safe (over the long run ) to shoot water through a valve meant for air?

Should be fine.

I'd say less than 1% of divers own a BC flush kit. Then prob only 1/4 of them actually use it.

I've flushed mine with fresh water before for years and never had an issue. Then sometimes don't flush it and still really don't have an issue.

I'd guess that 90% of the time that most divers don't flush them. And you see no major issues reported. If you did, you'd see people posting "failure reports" all over the place for every brand out there.

I flush mine through the inflator every dive. never had an inflator fail.

Perfect. Ok. So, I think I have this narrowed down...now I just need to know how much lift I need for the bladder. I never dive with a drysuit, but I do dive with anything from a rashguard to a 7mm wetsuit. is 18# enough? Or do I need to go 30#. (I have no idea how much lift my old jacket style has, but I've never needed to inflate it anywhere near full capacity)
Thanks guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom